Putting the "plus" in the N Box+ are the Universal Bridge and the Multi-space System. The former is an integrated aluminum loading ramp in the cargo floor that can be extended, U-Haul style, to ease loading. The latter is a set of panels that can break the cargo bay into different configurations, from shifting the height of the floor to creating a full-length bed once the two rows of seats are lowered.
The N Box+ comes in all kinds of configurations and paint schemes, from ¥1,350,000 ($16,948 U.S.) for the front-wheel, naturally aspirated drive G trim, to ¥1,870,000 for the four-wheel-drive, two-tone G Package Turbo with with paddle shifters. All N Box+ models have 660cc engines (per kei car regulations) and a CVT. Scroll down for the press release and get a load of the funkiness in the attached photo gallery.
TOKYO, Japan, July 5, 2012 - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today announced it will begin sales of the N BOX + ("N BOX plus"), the second model of the new mini-vehicle N Series, at dealerships across Japan on July 6, 2012. Following the introduction of the N BOX, which realized one of the largest*1 interior spaces among all mini-vehicles in the market through adoption of newly-designed platform and powerplant, Honda is now introducing the N BOX + which was developed under the concept of "adding ("plus") new possibilities."
Two innovative ideas were added to the large cargo area made possible by the combination of Honda's innovative packaging technology, the center-tank layout, and the newly-developed powerplant. The "Universal Bridge*2" combines a sloped floor and an attachable aluminum slope*3, which makes the loading and unloading of luggage and other items easier. The "Multi-space System*2" realizes versatile space arrangements with three different sized boards.
The addition of these innovative ideas enables the N BOX + to accommodate diverse customer needs in a wide range of vehicle uses including daily routines, recreational activities and special needs care-giving.
The 2-tone color style, which has different color combinations for the body and roof, was established to enable each owner to more strongly express their personality in a fun way, expanding the potential for the joy of customers.
The N BOX, the first model of the new mini-vehicle N Series, was Honda's proposal for a "mini mini-van" which leverages its overwhelming spaciousness beyond the concept of mini-vehicle to enhance occupant comfort. The vehicle has been well received by a large number of customers, especially families with children, and cumulative sales since the sales launch in December of last year has already reached approximately 100,000 units.
*1 Honda's internal research (as of July 2012), comparison based on the interior size (length, width, height)
*2 The Universal Bridge and the Multi-space System are registered trade marks of Honda Motor Co., Ltd.
*3 Aluminum slope is available as a dealer option
Sales plan (Japan, monthly): 3,000units
Body colors (Total 13 colors)
N BOX + (7 colors)
Premium White Pearl, Alabaster Silver Metallic, Crystal Black Pearl, Premium Dynamic Blue Pearl,
Cool Mist Metallic, Premium Bronze Pearl, Cherry Shell Pink Metallic
N BOX + 2-tone color style (3 colors)
Premium Dynamic Blue Pearl X Taffeta White, Premium Bronze Pearl X Taffeta White,
Cherry Shell Pink Metallic X Crystal Black Pearl
N BOX + Custom (7 colors)
Premium White Pearl, Alabaster Silver Metallic, Crystal Black Pearl, Premium Deep Rosso Pearl,
Polished Metal Metallic, Premium Dynamic Blue Pearl, Premium Gold Purple Pearl
Interior colors (Total 3 colors)
N BOX +: Beige
N BOX + 2-tone color style: Brown, Black
N BOX + Custom: Black
[Key features of N BOX +]
The "Multi-space System" realizes versatile space arrangements with three boards:
- A wide variety of arrangements including several cargo modes or a bed mode which folds flat can quickly be made using large and small multi-boards and an end board.
The "Universal Bridge" combines a sloped floor and an attachable aluminum slope, to improve the ease of loading and unloading:
- In addition to sloping the low floor which was realized by the center-tank layout, Honda's innovative packaging technology, an aluminum slope was made available to bridge the vehicle floor and the ground, making it easier to load and unload heavy items on wheels such as a small motorbike.
Visibility and sense of security beyond the mini-vehicle category:
- In addition to realizing an eye point as high as that of a mini-van, installation of mirrors which help eliminate blind spots around the left-front wheel, left-rear wheel, and lower rear make it easier to pull up closer to an object on the side or to park.
A high-performance powertrain realizes both excellent driving performance and fuel economy at a high level:
- Smooth and powerful driving was realized through the combination of a high-output/high-torque DOHC engine which generates output and torque at the top level of the class and a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) with high power efficiency. Excellent fuel economy of 21.2km/L*4 was realized through adoption of various features including the idle stop system and ECON mode system.
- A DOHC Turbo engine with high-performance turbo charger is available in all grades.
*4 N BOX + and N BOX + Custom FWD vehicles (excluding turbo model) measured in JC08 mode (Testing by Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism)
High safety performance and enhanced safety features:
- Class-leading omni-directional collision safety performance was realized with the newly-designed engine and new load distribution structure.
- VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist) system is standard equipment on all types.
- HSA (Hill Start Assist) that temporarily prevents the vehicle from rolling backward when starting on an upward incline is installed as standard equipment on all types.
- Driver-side i-SRS airbag system (with continuously staged inflation) and SRS airbag system for front passenger are standard equipment on all types.
- The impact-mitigating headrests in the front seat which are designed to help mitigate the likelihood of a neck injury in the event of collision, and the interior which protects occupants' heads from impact are adopted.
- All types are certified by Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism as complying with the 2005 - 75% emissions standard.
- G and G・L Package (FWD/4WD) for both N BOX + and N BOX + Custom comply with the 2015 fuel economy standard.
- More than 90 percent of the entire vehicle is recyclable*5.
*5 Calculated based on the "Definition of and Guideline for Calculating the Percentage of Recyclable Materials in New Automobiles" (Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association, Inc., 1998)