• 300


An Australian man almost became a candidate for the Darwin Awards when he decided to test his lighter while filling up his car at a gas station.

Predictably, the fuel ignited and a fire began rapidly spreading. Fortunately, a quick thinking attendant shut off the gas flow and called authorities while a motorist at another pump doused the flames with water, averting disaster.

Now, we're sure that you know better than to do something like this, but this should serve as a reminder to all of us that gas stations are places to practice safety first. Here are some tips to help you out:

1. Do not smoke where gasoline is handled or stored.

You saw what happened to the gentleman in the video above when he tested his lighter. Just don't do it. Wait ten minutes until you're done at the gas station and then light up.

2. Do not use cell phones or other electronic devices while refueling.

Electronic devices can emit electrical charges while they are in use, which could potentially ignite the gasoline fumes around the nozzle. Leave them in the car until you've finished filling up.

3. Do not reenter your car while refueling.

Getting in and out of your car can cause static electricity to build up in your body, especially when in cold climates. If you have to reenter your car, make sure to get rid of that excess charge by touching a metallic part on the outside of your vehicle before you remove the nozzle.

4. Do not top-off.

Gas pumps are programmed to shut off when the tank is full. Don't overdo it and risk a spill.

5. If a fire occurs, leave the nozzle in the fill pipe.

In the event of a flash fire, don't try to remove the nozzle. Just back away from your vehicle and notify the attendent so they can shut off the flow of gasoline. If no attendent is available, there will be an emergency intercom that you can use to call for help.


I'm reporting this comment as:

Reported comments and users are reviewed by Autoblog staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week to determine whether they violate Community Guideline. Accounts are penalized for Community Guidelines violations and serious or repeated violations can lead to account termination.


    • 1 Second Ago
  • 300 Comments
      cobra
      • 2 Years Ago
      I caught the sleeve of my shirt on fire once while pumping gas. I frantically waved my arm and luckily put the fire out. A cop was standing nearby and started to arrest me. I asked him what I was being charged with. He said I was waving a fire arm.
      1 Evil Brat
      • 2 Years Ago
      There are idiots ~ then there are people like HIM. Glad he is in Australia. The U.S, has enough already. Glad he is okay though - - - - - the dummy.
      jona817
      • 2 Years Ago
      6. DO NOT stand there and wait for the explosion. RUN AS FAST AND AS FAR AS YOU CAN!!
        • 2 Years Ago
        @jona817
        or put the fire out and make sure that no one dies. Cowardice might keep you alive, but bravery can save others as well. You might be thankful for the ones who put their lives on the line when you are to old to run or when you are running and your child is still in the gas station.
      • 2 Years Ago
      Make sure you don't use the fire extinguisher RIGHT NEXT TO YOU!!!! I guess if he is that dumb how could he think of something smart... stupid ass
      sylvabugg2
      • 2 Years Ago
      What a genius! lol
      msmith6791
      • 2 Years Ago
      The GODS?
      swanderman
      • 2 Years Ago
      Is everyone that wears a hoodie that stupid ?
      craigjameskk
      • 2 Years Ago
      Gas just went up 15 cents on the gallon because of stupid people like you...
      Brenda
      • 2 Years Ago
      How stupid is this guy anyways..."VERY"
      DARLENE
      • 2 Years Ago
      He was making sure his lighter wasn't counterfeit.
      • 2 Years Ago
      Um... the cell phone one is a myth.
      • 2 Years Ago
      Yes the guy was an idiot. If he had a thought in his head at all he'd have seen the B/C Class fire extinguisher two feet away from him and used it. But I think it even more comical just how many people (the reporter of the story included) dont seem to know that you not supposed to throw water on an oil or gas fire because of the danger of spreading the flames over a greater area. I'm really surprised there was no disclaimer tagged on this story telling you never to do that.
    • Load More Comments