A123 Systems will hire 400 new workers despite uncertain future
While A123 might be best known for supplying packs for cars like the Fisker Karma, it is also the battery source for Smith Electric Vehicles and its cells will soon start doing energy storage duty in Tata's hybrid buses. It's grid storage business has also scored recently, landing a contract to supply an 11 MW Grid Battery System for the Auwahi Wind project in Maui, HI.
A123 uses a robust chemistry that lends itself to many applications and has a strong client list. Despite recent set backs, it could still become an American success story, though it certainly will require some deft maneuvering by its management team.
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies