Flared wheel arches set the tone along the flanks of the R.S., but the optional Design Package and 16-inch wheels add contrasting accents, and the Gordini R.S. swaps for 17-inch diamond-effect black rims. Yellow stitching, white and gloss-black inserts highlight the interior, and an optional telemetry system called R.S. Monitor can highlight your driving. Under the hood is the familiar 1.6-liter four-cylinder with 133 horsepower.
Both machines go on sale this month in France and will roll out 19 other countries in March, the U.S. not among them. The Twingo R.S. will require €16,900 ($22,187 U.S.) of your hard-earned cash in France, while the top-flite Gordini R.S. needs €18,100 ($23,762 U.S.). Follow the jump for the press release and more info.
(February 14, 2012) -- Following the launch of New Renault Twingo at the start of the year, this spring will see Renault Sport bring out New Twingo R.S., as well as the latest Gordini R.S. version:
- Unique, sensual styling: a sporty take on Renault's new visual identity which expresses driving enjoyment and excitement.
- New Renault Twingo R.S. benefits extensively from Renault Sport Technologies' experience in the design of competition and sporty cars.
- CO2 emissions reduced to 150g/km and combined-cycle fuel consumption reduced to 6.5 litres/100km.
- Built to even higher quality standards, backed up by a network of specialists with unrivalled expertise.
- Marketed in 20 countries. Order books will open in France on February 20, 2012. Tax-paid prices (in France) will start from €16,900 for the R.S. version and from €18,100 for the Gordini R.S. version.
Genuine sporty credentials
New Twingo R.S., which will go on sale from mid-March 2012, features the sporting interpretation of Renault's new styling identity, including a dynamic grille design with four lights and a front bumper incorporating an F1-style blade. This detail, which now runs across the Renault Sport range, recalls Renault's success in Formula 1. The hallmark Sirius Yellow finish will be available as an option from the end of May. The rear end of the car features a tailgate-mounted lip spoiler, a special bumper incorporating a diffuser and aerodynamic extensions on the rear wheel arches. Also available is a Design Pack which includes Grey/Dark Gunmetal Grey door mirror housings, F1 blade and R.S. lip spoiler, plus chrome details for the fog light surrounds. It will also be possible to specify new 16-inch 'Emotion' alloy wheels complete with 'R.S.'-badged centre caps which proudly proclaim the car's pedigree.
Trademark Renault Sport yellow stitching will feature inside New Twingo R.S. (on the steering wheel, seats and dashboard cowl), while the dashboard, radio console, rev-counter housing and lateral air vents all come with Gloss Black inserts. The top of the steering wheel, seat backs and cushions, rev-counter surround and manual climate control controls are picked out in white.
Renault Sport expertise
New Twingo R.S. brings the driving enjoyment and sporty performance associated with Renault Sport Technologies' experience of motorsport to an even wider audience:
- a feisty, normally-aspirated 1.6 16V R.S. engine (133hp/98kW at 6,750rpm, and 160Nm of torque at 4,400rpm),
- outstanding road holding with the standard Sport chassis. The optional Cup chassis (ride height lowered by 4mm) is an exceptional feature in New Twingo R.S.'s class,
- big brakes: 280mm-diameter front discs and 240mm-diameter rear discs,
- unique for a small hot hatch: the optional R.S. Monitor, a functional and fun on-board telemetry system.
Despite its exceptional performance credentials for its class, New Twingo R.S. boasts low CO2 emissions (150g/km, a saving of 3.2 percent compared to the former version) and fuel consumption (6.5 litres/100km, a saving of 3.0 percent).
A promise of quality supported by a network of specialists
Since its launch in September 2008, Twingo R.S. has emerged as a top-three seller in its class (A segment / Very High Performance), with sales totalling more than 10,000 vehicles.
Like its bigger sisters, Clio R.S. and Mégane R.S., New Twingo R.S. is supported by a network of 350 Renault Sport specialist dealers across the world, for expert servicing dedicated to performance cars.
Twingo Gordini R.S.: the 'French Touch', plus premium features as standard
Thanks to its instantly recognisable style, 17-inch diamond-effect black wheels, leather trim and automatic climate control, New Twingo Gordini R.S. defines sporty chic in imitable fashion with its twin stripes. In addition to the blue interior option, a new grey interior can now be specified, irrespective of body colour (Malte Blue, Glacier White, Pearlescent Black or Vif Red). New Twingo Gordini R.S. adds a touch of refinement to the attraction of the Renault Sport range.