- Oct 5, 2011
Eight tips to extend electric vehicle battery life
With plug-in vehicles, their unproven battery technology could be the cause for constant worry among individuals, first among them the owners. Sure, lengthy warranties are attached to most plug-ins, but are there simple techniques to ensure that your electric ride doesn't run low on go-power anytime soon? Well, our buds over at Plugin Cars came up with eight simple tips that should go a long way to extend battery life. They are:
- Avoid full charging when you can.
- For pure electric vehicles, avoid deep discharging your battery pack.
- For plug-in hybrids, consider "mountain-mode" or exiting EV-mode at key times.
- Use timers to minimize the time spent at a high state of charge.
- On a hot day, try to park in the shade. During the winter, park in a garage, rather than on the street.
- If your electric vehicle has thermal management and the weather is extreme, plug in whenever you can.
- Plan ahead for periods of extended storage.
- To maximize battery life, minimize use of DC quick-charge.