Powered by the Peugeot's through-the-road HYbrid4 technology and using a 2.2-liter HDi diesel instead of the automaker's 2.0-liter oil burner, the HX1 combines good power – 299 bhp – with astonishingly low fuel consumption of 73.5 miles per gallon equivalent (U.S.) and CO2 emissions of only 83 grams per kilometer. And with its plug-in capability, Peugeot says the HX1 features a useful electric-only range of 18.6 miles.
Design-wise, the HX1 concept features a windscreen pulled so far to the front that it's more "cab-in-the-next-country" than "cab forward." Add in a quartet of unusual scissor doors and the HX1 takes most elements that make up a typical MPV and, well, reinvents them.
What's truly ingenious in the HX1 are its second-row seats, which literally pull right out of the back side of the front seats.
Outside, trick aerodynamic elements deploy at speed, off the rear of the HX1 and from the wheels. Follow the jump for more details on the HX1 including a video, then check out the concept's wizardry in our high-res image gallery.
For Peugeot, the product offensive launched in 2010 continues and expands in 2011 with two strategic means of leverage: internationalisation and an enhanced brand positioning.
To illustrate this dynamic approach, Peugeot:
- is deploying its diesel-electric hybrid technology on the 508 RXH following its release on the 3008 HYbrid4,
- is unveiling the HX1, a marriage of radical styling and environmental excellence, - is exhibiting its Premium platform models: 508, 3008 HYbrid4, RCZ,
- is reaffirming its position as automotive environmental leader, - is presenting its vision of the new world order in the automotive sector.
508 RXH: DIESEL-ELECTRIC HYBRID AND DISTINCTIVE APPEAL
Peugeot unveils the 508 RXH, its completely individual third model in the 508 range.
An expression of Peugeot's enhanced appeal with its upmarket trend
When it is released in spring 2012, a year after the launch of the 508, the 508 RXH is to be considered as a completely separate model. It is an incarnation of a modern and different upmarket range from Peugeot, both in its dimensions and its visual identity, through the choice of a unique hybrid high-tech diesel engine and electric motor with a single, lavishly-appointed trim level.
Its visual signature is enhanced by its individual front end character, flared wings, daytime running lights signature and a new exclusive body colour.
The same special care has played an integral role in the direction taken with the distinctive design of the 508 RXH interior, harmonising specific colours and natural materials.
With its wider track, its 18'' wheels and raised attitude the 508 RXH has a natural stance that is inspired by its all-road capability. Furthermore, due to its HYbrid4 drive train, it offers a responsible and intelligent alternative vision.
The diesel-electric hybrid; a new level of driving pleasure
Illustrating the cross-platform, modular versatility of HYbrid4 technology, the 508 RXH is, after the HYbrid4 3008, the second of the marque's models to receive the diesel-electric hybrid power plant.
With a combined output of 200 bhp from its 2.0 HDi FAP diesel engine and electric motor on the rear axle, the 508 RXH is able to provide for the desires for a new driving experience with a choice of four HYbrid4 modes (Automatic, "Zero Emissions Vehicle", Sport or 4WD) and exceptional fuel economy (4.0 l/100 km (70.6 mpg) in the Combined Drive Cycle, and CO2 of 109 g/km).
Peugeot is exhibiting a Limited Edition 508 RXH at Frankfurt: the run of 300, individually-numbered examples in Calern Brown with Alcantara leather upholstery can be pre-reserved online from the opening of the Motor Show.
HX1: MULTI-PURPOSE CONCEPT CAR
The HX1, making its worldwide début in Frankfurt, is a concept for gauging interest which has a specification to seat up to six people in a vehicle with unconventional styling: robust, sporty, integrating the new brand identity, unparalleled aerodynamics, and providing a
unique interior space and driving experience.
Rising to this challenge, the designers have placed adaptability at the heart of their creation: the HX1 can metamorphose to suit its environment, the driving conditions and the expectations of its occupants.
So, due to its many mobile aerodynamic parts that were designed with speed in mind, the HX1's unusual MPV architecture, very low for a length of 4.93 m, results in an exceptional Cd of 0.28.
Its four reverse-opening doors provide access to the interior of HX1, the marque's vision of a high-end passenger compartment, which combines elegance and modernity, natural materials and ultra-high technological specification. It offers its occupants an exceptional level of interior space, an innovative modular design with its original "4+2" configuration, and provides the driver with a driving position that can be adapted to suit driving conditions.
With a combined power output of 299 bhp from the 2.2 litre HDi engine driving the front wheels and the electric motor integrated into the rear axle, its diesel- electric hybrid drive train provides the functionality of
HYbrid4 technology such as four-wheel drive and the 'all electric' mode with an increased potential range of 30 km (18.6 miles) due to the "plug in" function.
The HX1 thus obtains an astonishingly low combined fuel consumption of 3.2 l/100 km (88.2 mpg) with impressive CO2 emissions of 83 g/km.
PEUGEOT: THE UPMARKET TREND
At its stand in Frankfurt, Peugeot is putting its Premium models under the spotlight, a definitive illustration of the marque's upmarket shift.
- After a successful launch in Europe in the first half of 2011 (with 57,000 sales by the end of June), then its release onto the Chinese market in August, the 508 is reaffirming the Marque's ambitions regarding one of its historical territories, the large car.
Through its appealing styling, the impressive environmental credentials of its extensive range of engines and cutting-edge technology, along with its pleasant onboard surroundings and the driving experience it provides, the 508 (Saloon or SW) offers a modern range at one with the aspirations of its dynamic, responsible and discerning customers.
- Since its highly-anticipated launch in spring 2010, the RCZ sports coupé has exceeded expectations, and has taken pole position among sports coupés in its class in Europe.
In Frankfurt, the dynamism of the RCZ is revealed with:
• a limited-edition "Asphalt" version which is distinguished from the standard 200 hp version by its Telluric matt grey bodywork, its two-tone 19" wheels and many distinctive "Asphalt" features;
• and a 200 bhp 2.0 l HDi version, which was victorious at the 2011 "24 Hours Nürburgring" in the diesel category, and is the current diesel category leader in the German VLN Endurance Championship.
- Demand for the 3008 Crossover continues to impress with sales up in the first half of 2011 (74,000) which are once again on the increase with a demand mainly for the range-topping versions.
Even before the arrival of the 3008 HYbrid4 on the market, the 3008, and the effective way in which the 5008 compact MPV complements it, is enabling Peugeot to stake its claim as a key player in the highly- competitive "midsize" market.
PEUGEOT: ENVIRONMENTAL LEADERSHIP
In Frankfurt, the 508 RXH, the HX1 concept and the 908 Hybrid4 which Peugeot Sport is currently developing, are all demonstrations of Peugeot's pioneering and determined approach to diesel-electric hybridization.
Yet Peugeot's environmental commitment is being reflected in practice in 2011, through the major advances that the marque is exhibiting in Frankfurt.
- Peugeot actively seeks to reduce the CO2 emissions of its vehicle range: the average emissions of the marque's models were measured in the first half of 2011 at 129.8 g/km CO2 compared to 131.3 in 2010, therefore dropping below the 130 g/km limit set for 2015 by the European Commission.
- 3008 HYbrid4 - the first Diesel Hybrid in the world
By launching the world's first diesel hybrid vehicle in the second half of 2011, Peugeot is offering an exclusive range in terms of environmentally-friendly functionality and driving pleasure.
On the 3008 Crossover, the hybridization of a 2.0 HDi FAP diesel engine developing 163 bhp driving the front wheels and an electric motor developing 37 bhp on the rear axle, can reconcile a new driving experience, through four-wheel drive, a maximum output of 200 bhp, a "Zero Emissions Vehicle" mode, and an average fuel consumption of 3.8 l/100 km (74.3 mpg) with 99 g/km CO2), down 35% on an internal combustion engine with a similar power output.
- e-HDi, micro-hybrid technology
In the first half of 2011 the 508 and the new 308 launched the e-HDi innovative technology, the new generation STOP & START System, which reduces fuel consumption by nearly 15% in Urban Drive Cycle, prior to its deployment in the second half of the year on the 3008, the 5008 and PARTNER (Van and Tepee).
e-HDi combines the 1.6 l HDi Euro 5 engine and a reversible-alternator which provides the STOP & START System function, supplemented by a braking energy recovery system and hybrid battery that delivers additional power at start-up.
- Electric: 2- or 4-wheel drive...
•iOn is a latest-generation all-electric city car, designed for business customers and private individuals. The lithium-ion batteries powering the 64 hp electric motor permit a top speed of 130 km/h (80 mph) and a range of 150 km (93 miles). The distinguished recipient of several awards in Europe, iOn has received over 2,000 orders at the end of June 2011.
• At the Peugeot stand in Frankfurt, the e-Vivacity scooter is another illustration of the Marque's response to new expectations in terms of "zero emissions" urban mobility. All-electric, practical and modern, intuitive and nippy; the e-Vivacity offers a range of 60 km (37 miles) and an average energy cost of €0.4/100 km, thanks to its next generation compact lithium-ion batteries.
• But for Peugeot , "electricity" can also mean "intensity". This is how the EX1 concept was born. With two electric motors that give a combined output of 340 hp, four-wheel drive and an extremely aerodynamic and lightweight structure, EX1 is an out-of-the-ordinary two-seater roadster, designed for an intense driving experience. The EX1 has already set or broken several validated records for acceleration in France, Germany and China.
THE AUTOMOTIVE NEW WORLD ORDER: PEUGEOT IS ONE STEP AHEAD
In response to and anticipation of emerging mobility requirements, Peugeot is introducing a new vision, with concrete responses to the challenges of the automotive new world order.
- Mu by Peugeot is a "new generation" rental scheme which offers customers , whether they own a vehicle or not, a rental vehicle from the Peugeot ranges for a period of their choice: private vehicle, commercial vehicle, scooter, bicycle and accessories.
Due to the variety of its range, now enhanced by electric vehicles, its ease of use and its contained tariffs, Mu by Peugeot already has more than 8,000 customers in eight European countries.
The Marque forecasts the deployment of 75 new Mu sites per year, with an objective of 300 sites across Europe by 2013.
- At Frankfurt, Peugeot is presenting its pan-European online services.
Peugeot Connect has three features: Peugeot Connect SOS emergency callout , Peugeot Connect Assistance breakdown assistance and Peugeot Connect Fleet for fleet management services.
Available as an option or as standard on almost all range models, Peugeot Connect strengthens Peugeot's leading position in matters of tertiary safety. Already a leader in tertiary safety, Peugeot's objective for 2011 is to exceed 600,000 vehicles equipped with the emergency call equipment.
- PeugeotScooters,thelongest–standingmanufacturer of motorised two-wheelers in the world and fourth European marque in 2010, is following an ambitious development plan and now includes 22 models between 50 and 500 cc. In 2011, Peugeot Scooters is launching the electric e-Vivacity and the 125 cc CityStar.
-For Peugeot, the bicycle represents a history of 120 years of passion. The new Peugeot Cycles range, boasting more than 50 models, is tailored to wide-ranging requirements.
An exclusive interpretation from the Peugeot Design Centre, the Design Lab DL-121 exhibited at Frankfurt is a limited production run concept bike which, with its coppered finish, brings a new dimension to the world of cycling. The e-bike AE-11 in the Allure range, brings ride enjoyment with its innovative soft feel and very reliable Panasonic Li-ion manganese 12 Ah battery.
2011 FOCUSING ON ACCELERATION
In the first half of 2011, this dynamic approach has enabled Peugeot to:
- record 1,091,000 sales worldwide and to accelerate its internationalisation,
- launch the 508 successfully in Europe, then in China,
- update its range at the heart of the market through the very favourable reception given to the new 308,
- reduce the overall carbon footprint of its product range further,
- accelerate the deployment of the highly-innovative and unique Mu by Peugeot mobility scheme.
Category: Diesel, Hybrid, Peugeot, Frankfurt Motor ShowInsert your press release here!