BMI's simple aero tweaks could increase semi truck efficiency by 12%
What's the point of all this? Well, BMI claims its SmartTruck UnderTray System could lower a truck's drag coefficient from 0.6 down to 0.35, reducing diesel fuel consumption by 1.5 billion gallons annually – if all 1.3 million (Class 8) long-haul semi trucks on U.S. roads were outfitted with BMI's drag-reducing setup.
BMI's fuel-saving SmartTruck UnderTray components can either be applied at the OEM level or retrofitted to existing semi trucks and BMI says the aero system saves so much fuel that it pays for itself in less than 18 months.
[Source: TreeHugger, BMI Corporation]
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies