By the end of May, General Motors had sold 2,184 Chevrolet Volts in 2011. Though far from hitting mass-market volumes, sales of the Volt have reached a point where releasing a buyer profile provides some useful insight into the early adopter crowd. So, without further delay, here's the 2011 Chevy Volt's buyer profile:
- Sex: Male, 90 percent; female, 10 percent.
- Education: College degree 80 percent; advanced degree, 45 percent.
- Driving mode: Electric, two-thirds of the time; gasoline mode, one-third of the time.
- Trade in vehicle: General Motors vehicle, 14 percent; non-GM vehicle, 86 percent.
- Chevrolet dealership experience: 33 percent had never before stepped into a Chevy showroom.
- Installed a 240-volt charger: 50 percent.
- Vehicle satisfaction: 93 percent "completely" or "very" satisfied.