2011 Nissan Leaf – Click above for high-res image gallery

When we first laid eyes on the Nissan Leaf, way back in 2009, we called it the tip of the mass market EV spear because we realized right away that this could be a compelling vehicle for a lot of people. Nissan, which started working on the Leaf in secret in 2007, probably realized this, too, and quickly moved to get people to reserve the all-electric hatch. The company hit its 20,000-unit target in about five months and all looked great. Then, the Leaf's actual, physical roll-out was a bit hampered, both by quality control double-checking and then the tragic March earthquake in Japan. Even with a less-than-perfect launch, the Leaf has sold 7,554 units (as of June 3), and the numbers look good for the future, quake issues aside.

Since there's been some (okay, a lot of) confusion over exactly how many Leaf sales/reservations/deliveries there have been in the U.S., we're happy to report some concrete numbers that we learned at Nissan's Farmington Hills, MI offices this week. Here we go:
  • Nissan received around 22,500 reservations from all over the U.S.
  • 2,094 Leafs have been delivered (as of June 3).
  • There are 5,000 people waiting for delivery in America. These are the people who live in the launch areas and officially ordered their vehicles.
  • When Nissan recently said "everyone in their Leaf by the end of summer," it meant these 7,000 people.
  • Nissan will open the doors to nationwide deliveries sometime in 2012.
  • 80 percent of the 22,500 people who reserved a Leaf are "still in the system," Nissan spokeswoman Katherine Zachary told AutoblogGreen. The other way to look at this: 20 percent (around 4,500 people) have asked for their $99 deposit back.


I'm reporting this comment as:

Reported comments and users are reviewed by Autoblog staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week to determine whether they violate Community Guideline. Accounts are penalized for Community Guidelines violations and serious or repeated violations can lead to account termination.


    • 1 Second Ago
  • From Our Partners

    You May Like
    Links by Zergnet
    Share This Photo X