• Mar 17, 2011
2011 Honda Civic – Click above for high-res image gallery

Honda has released notice of a recall for its 2011 Civic compact. The issue stems from a malignant fuel pump, which may have modules inside that became damaged during production. So far, no accidents or injuries have been reported as a result of the faulty fuel pumps. However, the damaged unit could cause fuel to leak onto the emissions canister in the event of a roll-over crash, potentially turning a bad accident into a fiery tragedy.

This recall comes on the heels of another Honda issue, which involves 2006-2007 Civic Hybrid models. This new voluntary recall affects 18,056 vehicles, and Honda plans to begin notifying owners beginning in mid-April. Peek beyond the jump for the official press verbiage with all the details.

[Source: Honda]
Show full PR text
Statement by American Honda Regarding Fuel Pump Module Recall: 2011 Civic

03/16/2011 - TORRANCE, Calif.
Honda will voluntarily recall 18,056 model-year 2011 Civic vehicles in the U.S. to inspect and possibly replace the fuel pump module inside the gasoline tank. Observation during assembly revealed that the roll-over valve inside certain fuel pump modules may have been damaged during production. If a vehicle is involved in a rollover crash, a cracked roll-over valve may allow fuel leakage from the gasoline tank into the evaporative emissions canister. No crashes or injuries have been reported related to this defect.

Honda is announcing this recall to encourage all owners of affected vehicles to take their vehicles to an authorized dealer as soon as they receive notification of this recall from Honda. Notification to customers will begin in mid-April 2011.

When Honda identifies concerns of this nature, nothing is more important to the company than fulfilling our obligation and responsibility to alert our customers. To this end, in addition to contacting customers by mail, in mid-April, owners of these vehicles will be able to determine if their vehicles require repair by going on-line to www.recalls.honda.com or by calling (800) 999-1009, and selecting option 4.

I'm reporting this comment as:

Reported comments and users are reviewed by Autoblog staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week to determine whether they violate Community Guideline. Accounts are penalized for Community Guidelines violations and serious or repeated violations can lead to account termination.

    • 1 Second Ago
      • 3 Years Ago
      "malignant fuel pump" Is that like a cancer?
      • 3 Years Ago
      Borrow spiders from Mazda 6's to clog the canister vent line and VOILA! No fuel getting into the canister = no fire.
      • 3 Years Ago
      Please, nobody T-bone my 2011 Si with a snow-plow until at least May, okay?
      • 3 Years Ago
      Another day, another recall.
      • 3 Years Ago
      When are they gonna recall it for boring onlookers to death?
      • 3 Years Ago
      We dont get that version of the Civic here in Australia, thank god. That has to be the blandest car i have ever seen! The Toyota Corolla has more style than this.
      • 3 Years Ago
      They still make these?