EPA adds Delphi's diesel-fed auxiliary fuel cell to Emerging Technology list
Delphi's SOFC APU utilizes diesel fuel from the semi's main tank to generate electricity to power equipment in the truck's cab, including the air conditioning unit, television, microwave, refrigerator and other on-board accessories. Delphi's unit allows truck drivers to not idle the semi's diesel engine just to power the cab's numerous components, a change that could substantially reduce emissions.
Over the course of the next year, Delphi will continue to test the performance and durability of its SOFC APU in hopes of moving it off of the EPA's Emerging Technologies list and on to the agency's Verified Technology category. Hat tip to Roy!
[Source: Green Car Congress]
- Great used cars for less than $10,000
- Owners say these cars aren't very good deals
- New Car Buying Guides
- Cheapest new automobiles in America
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Find and compare 2017 Models