Saab 9-3 Convertible
Independence Edition – Click above for high-res image gallery
A couple of days after reports
of a special edition Saab 9-3
surfaced in celebration of the company's independence from General Motors
, the automaker has confirmed its particulars and corrected a few details along the way.
Independence Edition celebrates not only Saab
's liberation out from under the GM
umbrella, but also the 25th anniversary of the company's first convertible. It's based on the Aero trim model, but while earlier reports suggested it could get the 220-horsepower 2.0-liter turbo from the 9-5
, the special edition is actually driven by a 1.9-liter diesel four with 180 horses and a six-speed automatic.
Amber Orange metallic is the dominant color, coating the exterior and highlighting the cabin with trim on the parchment leather sport seats and stitching on the steering wheel. There's also grey piping on the floor mats and carbon-look leather on the instrument panel, levers and handles. And while those special 18-inch wheels may look like they've got five spokes, but actually have twenty.
Only 366 examples of the Independence Edition will be made in all – one for each day of this year and another to kick off the next. Follow the jump
for the press release and check out the pair of images in the gallery below.
LIMITED EDITION SAAB CONVERTIBLE CELEBRATES FIRST YEAR OF INDEPENDENCE
• Saab celebrates year of independence with launch of numbered limited edition
• Saab 9-3 Convertible Independence Edition based on Aero specification
• Unique colour and interior trim features
• Available with 1.9-litre TTiD 180hp engine and six-speed automatic transmission
Saab is celebrating the first anniversary of its independence by launching an exclusive Independence Edition of its 9-3 Convertible. Just 366 examples will be produced, one for each day during the first year and one extra for the start of a second year. Only 80 of these vehicles will be produced for the UK, ensuring its exclusivity.
Unveiled at Saab's assembly plant in Trollhättan as part of a day of celebration, the Independence Edition features a unique, Amber Orange metallic paint finish. It is based on top-of-the-line Aero specification and includes a limited edition serial number etched into the rear side windows.
The Independence Edition is further distinguished by:
• Five spoke, 18-inch alloy wheels with a satin chrome/black finish
• Parchment sport leather seats and glovebox with amber orange highlights
• Carbon-fibre look leather finish for the instrument panel, handbrake, gearshift moulding and door handles
• Driver 'welcome' message in instrument display, unique turbo boost gauge
• Orange stitched sport leather steering wheel and carpet mats with grey piping
The sole powertrain offered is a 180 hp, 1.9-litre twin turbo diesel with a six-speed automatic transmission.
The Independence Edition follows a successful tradition of special Saab Convertible models launched at springtime. This year also marks the 25th anniversary of the start of sales for the first Saab Convertible, a car which created a segment as a true four season, four seater convertible.