- Nov 24, 2010
Obama Administration buys a quarter of all hybrids sold by Ford, GM
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid – Click above for high-res image gallery
President Barack Obama – well, technically the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) – is responsible for purchasing almost a quarter of all the hybrid vehicles that Ford and General Motors sold in the U.S. in the last two years. The GSA, which handles the duty of purchasing the government's fleet vehicles, snagged 14,584 hybrids in the past two fiscal years, accounting for around ten percent of the 145,473 total vehicles that the agency purchased in that same time frame.
According to sales data obtained by Bloomberg under a Freedom of Information Act request, the GSA's hybrid vehicle purchases break down like this:
- 3,100 hybrids were purchased with $300 million that the GSA received from the 2009 economic stimulus package.
- 5,600 gas-electrics were bought from proceeds obtained by selling older government fleet vehicles.
- The GSA paid, on average, $5,281 below the sticker price for its hybrid vehicle purchases.
- Hybrid models, bought by the GSA, ranged in price from $23,072 to $47,079.
- The GSA purchased a mere 17 Toyota Priuses and just five Honda Civic hybrids in the past two years.
- The government bought 64 percent of all of the Chevrolet Malibu hybrids manufactured since the day that Obama took office.
- 14 percent of all Ford Escape Hybrids purchased in the past two years landed in government fleets.
- 29 of Ford Fusion Hybrids manufactured since early 2009 were bought by the GSA.
2010fordfusionhybrid_review001 2010fordfusionhybrid_review002 2010fordfusionhybrid_review003 2010fordfusionhybrid_review004 2010fordfusionhybrid_review005 2010fordfusionhybrid_review006 2010fordfusionhybrid_review007 2010fordfusionhybrid_review008 2010fordfusionhybrid_review009 2010fordfusionhybrid_review010 2010fordfusionhybrid_review011 2010fordfusionhybrid_review012 2010fordfusionhybrid_review013 2010fordfusionhybrid_review014 2010fordfusionhybrid_review015 2010fordfusionhybrid_review016 2010fordfusionhybrid_review017 2010fordfusionhybrid_review018 2010fordfusionhybrid_review019 2010fordfusionhybrid_review020 2010fordfusionhybrid_review021 2010fordfusionhybrid_review022 2010fordfusionhybrid_review023 2010fordfusionhybrid_review024 2010fordfusionhybrid_review025 2010fordfusionhybrid_review026 2010fordfusionhybrid_review027 2010fordfusionhybrid_review028
Photos copyright ©2010 Sam Abuelsamid / AOL