RK Collection Toyota Camry NASCAR Edition – Click above for high-res image gallery
After showing off the Tacoma RTR Concep
t, we didn't think Toyota
could find another way to toy with our emotions. We were wrong. Rob Kauffman, the owner of RK Collection and co-owner of Michael Waltrip Racing, has teamed up with Toyota
Racing development to produce a street-legal, NASCAR-inspired high-performance Camry
Those words don't seem like they should go together, but the parts list for the RK Collection Toyota Camry
NASCAR Edition reads like the shopping list for a potential dream car. The most important piece of that list sits under the hood: a 358 cubic inch TRD NASCAR
V8 engine producing 680 horsepower, which is paired with a Tremec T56 six-speed manual transmission.
It's as if Rob Kauffman was reading our dreams and then built the most exciting Camry
on the planet. The RK Collection Toyota Camry NASCAR Edition will be waiting for our cameras (and our hearts) at the rapidly approaching SEMA Show
in Las Vegas. Hit the jump
for the press release.
2010 SEMA Show: RK Collection Toyota Camry NASCAR Edition
The RK Collection Toyota Camry NASCAR Edition makes its public debut at the 2010 SEMA Show. The special two-door Toyota Camry NASCAR Edition was developed by RK Collection (RKC) to assist Toyota Racing Development (TRD) in visualizing the virtues of a standard Camry and morphing them into a powerful NASCAR counterpart.
The project was the visionary inspiration of Rob Kauffman, founder of RKC and co-owner of the NASCAR team Michael Waltrip Racing. The project was developed with the dual purpose of building and running a high-performance street legal Toyota Camry with a NASCAR engine. In partnership with TRD, RKC brought the concept to life with illustrations and a technical specs outline, rebuilding this one-of-a-kind high performance street machine. The vehicle was designed to showcase the technical alliance between TRD and RKC and demonstrate the connection between Toyota's production vehicles and its strong NASCAR program.
The exterior shell of the vehicle is a RKC custom made 2010 Camry two-door body sheet metal. RKC used the body as a canvas and installed several race car features including a custom body kit, Toyota grill, carbon fiber brake ducts with fog lights and TRD emblems. The car sits on TSW Jarama wheels that measure 20 x 8.5 inches in the front and 20 x 10 in the rear and fitted with 245/35/20 Michelin Pilot tires in the front and 285/20/30 in the rear.
Underneath the exterior shell sits a powerful TRD NASCAR V8 engine that measures 358 cubic inches and delivers a blistering 680 horsepower at 8500 RPM. The engine is mated to a Tremic T-56 Magnum six-speed manual transmission with a Ram dual-disc street clutch.
Race car handling is achieved through Camry modified Macpherson struts in the front and a Venza modified multi-link independent suspension in the rear. Shocks are coil over, single adjustable.
The high performance of the NASCAR Camry can be heard through a custom three-inch exhaust with X-pipe, Thrush mufflers, Quicktime performance cut out, custom side exhaust tips and high temperature turbo Black coating by H.M. Elliot Inc.
Inside, The NASCAR Camry is modified with custom leather-covered panels, a suede headliner with integrated rear tweeters, leather-covered power seats with custom TRD billet logos, a billet shifter and a dashboard with SPEK gauges by Proparts. Comfort is enhanced with air conditioning provided by Vintage Air. For added safety a four-point roll cage was installed.
A powerful audio system was required to help offset the throaty performance under the hood. This was accomplished with a Pioneer AVIC-2110BT DVD/NAV receiver. Boston Acoustics contributed to the high-performance sound with two GT-275 75w amps, four GT-475 75w amps, two pair of SR-60 two-way 6.5 component speakers and a G212-44 12-inch subwoofer.
After its debut at the 2010 SEMA Show the RK Collection Toyota Camry NASCAR Edition can be seen during the NASCAR race weekend beginning November 12 at the Phoenix International Raceway.
# # #
RK Collection Toyota Camry NASCAR Edition Features
• RKC Custom made two-door 2010 Camry Body Sheet Metal
• RKC Custom Body Kit, Nose/Tail, Flare/Side Skirt/Spoiler
• RKC Custom Toyota Grill's
• RKC Custom Carbon Fiber Brake Ducts with Fog Lights
• RKC Custom TRD emblems
• TSW Jarama 20X8.5 Front - 20X10 Rear
• Michelin Pilot 245/35/20 Front – 285/20/30 Rear
• Custom Leather Covered Panels
• Custom Suede Headliner with Integrated Rear Tweeters
• Custom four-Point Roll Cage
• Custom Leather Covered Power Seats with Custom TRD Billet Logos
• Custom Billet Shifter
• Custom Dash with SPEK gauges by Proparts
• Air conditioning by Vintage Air
• Pioneer AVIC-2110BT DVD/NAV receiver
• Boston Acoustics
o Gt-275 75w x 2 Amps.
o Gt-475 75w x 4 Amp.
o Two- pair SR-60 two-way 6.5 Component Speakers
o 1 G212-44 12' Subwoofer
• TRD NASCAR Engine-V8 Configuration
- Displacement- 358 cubic inches
- Power- 680 HP @ 8500 RPM
- Bore/Stroke - 4.185 inch/3.25 inch
- Oil System- five-stage dry sump
• Custom Wilson Throttle Body Injection
• Motec Engine Management
• Custom Fluidyne radiator
• RKC Custom Header
• RKC Custom Air Intake with K&N Filters
• RKC Custom A/C Mounts
• Quicktime Bell Housing
• Custom Ram Dual Disc Street Clutch
• Tremic T-56 Magnum 6-Speed
• RKC Modified Camry Sub frame
• D2 Coil Over Struts
• Custom Lower Control Arms
• Speedway Engineering 1 ¼ Splined Sway Bar
• Woodward Power Rack
• Wilwood 14.25 Rotors
• Brembo six-piston GT Calipers/ radial Mounted
• Modified 2010 Vensa Sub frame with Lexus SC-430 Differential
• SC-430 Differential with TRD Locker
• Custom Adjustable Control Arms
• Custom Driveshaft and Axles from The Driveshaft Shop
• D2 Coil over
• Wilwood 14' Rotors
• Brembo 4-Piston GT Calipers radial Mounted
• Custom three-inch Exhaust with X-Pipe
• Thrush Mufflers
• Quicktime Performance Cut Out
• Custom Side Exhaust Tips
• High Temp Turbo Black Coating by H.M. Elliott INC.
• Fluidyne high Performance
• Michael Waltrip Racing
• Michelin Tires
• Speedway Engineering
• Specialty Automotive Materials
• Toyota Racing Development
• Tremec Transmissions
• Vintage Air
• Wilwood Engineering
• Brown & Miller Racing Solutions