• Sep 16, 2010
Ford may have come through the automotive implosion relatively unscathed, but that doesn't mean the company isn't still trying to trim its costs. According to Automotive News, Ford wants to consolidate its dealer network by closing the doors on some 300 lots. The reason? While the automotive market is slowly improving, no one expects to see the kind of buying levels enjoyed before 2009 anytime soon. As a result, Ford wants to boost the profitability of its dealer network by reducing the number of outlets available to consumers.

While you'd expect dealers to be up in arms over such an announcement, Ford says that, by and large, its showrooms are behind the move. The company's relationship with its dealer network recently hit an all-time high, putting Ford in a good position to push the consolidation effort.

The move to trim outlets is also bolstered by the fact that there are 261 Lincoln-Mercury dealerships out there, and with Mercury on its way to the back lot in the sky, those dealers will likely be exploring other options. And with Ford currently operates a total of 3,338 dealerships in the States, a sacrifice of 10% seems more than reasonable.

[Source: Automotive News - Sub. Req. | Image: Bill Pugliano/Getty]


I'm reporting this comment as:

Reported comments and users are reviewed by Autoblog staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week to determine whether they violate Community Guideline. Accounts are penalized for Community Guidelines violations and serious or repeated violations can lead to account termination.


    • 1 Second Ago
  • 8 Comments
      • 4 Years Ago
      Well, I'm guessing roughly 90% of them are supportive of the plan, the other 10%...not so much.
      • 4 Years Ago
      Its good to see companies trimming the fat. Decluttering and downsizing is always best.
      • 4 Years Ago
      Yeah, I'm guessing about 90% of Ford's dealership network is behind the move.
      • 4 Years Ago
      Ford will likely be making a rather sweet buyout offer to the dealers who choose to pack it in which is why they are behind this. There are probably quite a few dealers out there who are at or around retirement age and want to cash out. Especially ones who are facing steep upgrade costs to bring their old showrooms up to spec.

      Ford wants to compete with the other car companies not itself.