The group, called the American Energy Innovation Council, includes people like Bill Gates, the CEOs of Cummins and General Electric and others and warns us that our continued reliance on dirty energy will hurt us. The executive summary starts this way:
The Council issued five specific recommendations:As business leaders, we feel that America's current energy system is deficient in ways that cause serious harm to our economy, our national security, and our environment. To correct these deficiencies, we must make a serious commitment to modernizing our energy system with cleaner, more efficient technologies.
Such a commitment should include both robust, public investments in innovative energy technologies as well as policy reforms to deploy these technologies on a large scale. By tapping America's entrepreneurial spirit and longstanding leadership in technology innovation, we can set a course for a prosperous, sustainable economy-and take control of our energy future.
Conversely, if we continue with the energy status quo, we will expose ourselves to risks that pose significant threats to our way of life.
- Create an independent national energy strategy board.
- Invest $16 billion per year in clean energy innovation.
- Create Centers of Excellence with strong domain expertise.
- Fund ARPA-E at $1 billion per year.
- Establish and fund a New Energy Challenge Program to build large-scale pilot projects.
[Source: American Energy Innovation Council via New York Times]