Toyota Auris Hybrid at £18,950 in the UK
The Auris is rated at 61.9 miles per gallon (U.S) In the European driving cycle with the base 15-inch wheel setup. The optional 17-inch rolling stock drops that number to 58.8 mpg (U.S.). The corresponding CO2 emissions ratings are 89 grams per kilometer with the 15-inch wheels and 93 g/km with the 17s.
Like the Prius, the Auris hybrid can run about 1.2 miles on electric power alone when the battery has sufficient juice, although top electric speed is limited to 30 mph. The Auris is a C-segment model based on the Corolla and is only available in Europe, so don't get your hopes up if you live in the U.S. and are jonesing for Prius fuel economy in a less conspicuous package.
TOYOTA ANNOUNCES PRICES AND EQUIPMENT GRADES FOR NEW AURIS HYBRID
* British-built Toyota Auris Hybrid available in two grades – T4 and T Spirit
* First full hybrid model in the European C-segment
* 89g/km CO2 emissions and 74.3mpg combined cycle fuel consumption for 15-inch wheel model, 93g/km and 70.6mpg for versions with 17-inch wheels
* Zero-rated for UK road tax (Vehicle Excise Duty)
* On-the-road prices from £18,950
* Available to order now, deliveries from 1 July
Toyota again takes the lead in delivering advanced and efficient user-friendly low emissions technology with the launch of its new Auris Hybrid, the first full hybrid vehicle in the European C-segment.
Its arrival makes the Auris range a unique proposition in its class, with customers offered a choice of petrol, diesel or full hybrid powertrains.
Auris Hybrid has been designed specifically for the European market and is built exclusively by Toyota Motor Manufacturing UK at its Burnaston factory. The 1.8-litre VVT-i petrol engine that forms part of the powertrain is sourced from TMUK's plant at Deeside in North Wales.
The benefits of Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive powertrain used in the new model go beyond exceptional fuel economy and low CO2 emissions: it is user-friendly and delivers a quiet, comfortable and stress-free drive unlike anything else in the segment.
The system's 1.8-litre VVT-i petrol engine and electric motor generate a maximum 134bhp, giving nought to 62mph acceleration in 11.4 seconds and a top speed of 112mph, performance that matches any conventional 2.0-litre petrol or diesel hatchback.
When fitted with 15-inch wheels, combined cycle fuel economy is 74.3 mpg and CO2 emissions are 89 g/km; with the 17-inch wheel option the figures remain exceptional at 70.6 mpg and 93 g/km, levels unmatched by any other car in its segment. In addition, NOx emissions are significantly lower than those of diesel cars of comparable performance. Across the range, the emissions performance exempts Auris Hybrid from UK road tax (VED).
When taking advantage of the full hybrid system's switchable EV (electric vehicle) mode, CO2 and NOx emissions are cut to zero over distances of up to 1.2 miles at speeds of up to 30 mph, according to the level of battery charge and driving conditions.
Grades and equipment specifications
Auris Hybrid is offered in the UK in two specification grades, T4 and T Spirit. T4 models can be specified with 15 or optional 17-inch wheels, with the larger rims standard on the T Spirit version. The choice of wheel size has a slight effect on CO2 emissions and fuel consumption.
Key features of the standard T4 include: -
* Climate control air conditioning
* Six-speaker audio with CD, radio, MP3 file player
* USB and Aux-in connection
* Front and rear electric windows
* Electric, heated door mirrors
* Front fog lights
* LED running lights
* Colour-matched door handles and mirrors
* Push-button start
* Seven airbags, including driver's knee airbag
* Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Traction Control (TRC)
* Hill-start Assist Control (HAC)
T Spirit grade adds the following items: -
* Leather and Alcantara upholstery
* Cruise control
* Dusk-sensing headlamps
* Rain-sensing windscreen wipers
* Smart Entry and Start
* Auto-dimming electrochromatic rear view mirror
* Rear view camera display in rear view mirror
A Navigation Pack is available, providing satellite navigation, rear camera and rear parking sensors. Bluetooth, with steering wheel controls, is also offered as an option for the T4.
The new Auris Hybrid T4 model costs £18,950 on-the-road and the T Spirit model costs £20,700.
An optional Navigation Pack, providing satellite navigation, rear camera and rear parking sensors, costs £1,200, and Bluetooth can be specified for the T4 version for £285.
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies
From Our Partners
Here's all the footage of Ken Block's Top Gear Gymkhana segment that didn't make the showWatch Video