- Feb 18, 2010
JDM Toyota Passo/Daihatsu Boon hatchlets get redesigned
2010 Daihatsu Boon – Click above for high-res image gallery
The twin hatchbacks known as the Toyota Passo and Daihatsu Boon in the JDM sphere have been launched in their all-new guises. The Toyota version comes in two flavors, Passo and Passo + Hanna, the latter of which gets extra features like projector headlights. It will also be available in two-wheel and all-wheel drive variants, and on top of that comes in a JDM-bonanza of trim levels such as Modellista and TRD Sportivo.
Being sister cars the Daihatsu will offer the same possible features, but with a much lower projected sales volume – 500 to the Toyota's 6,500 – the Boon will come in three versions as opposed to the Toyota's six. Engine choices are a 1.0-liter, 68-horsepower lump or a 1.3-liter, 94-hp motor, both running through a CVT. The Passo starts at ¥1,000,000 ($10,971 U.S.). You can read about both in the lengthy releases after the jump, and check them out in the gallery of high-res photos below. Top tip, Eralp!
[Source: Toyota, Daihatsu, Paul Tan]
DAIHATSU MOTOR CO., LTD. (DMC) announces its launch today of the fully redesigned Boon compact hatchback.
The Boon was the first vehicle for the Japanese market that DMC developed jointly with Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC), and since its initial launch in June 2004 it has been popular among a wide range of customers thanks to features that include an easy-to-maneuver compact body, individualistic styling, and a roomy interior.
DMC and TMC also teamed up for the redesign of the Boon, with all models now boasting higher fuel efficiency and lower emissions through the adoption of CVT and other changes. The overall aim was to create an affordable car with high degree of functionality and a design that epitomizes the beauty of simplicity.
The new Boon offers the following features:
(1) All Models Equipped with CVT for Higher Fuel Efficiency; Two-wheel drive models eligible for tax breaks and subsidies
- All models are equipped with continuously variable transmission (CVT). The CL and CL "Limited" two-wheel drive models exceed the Japanese 2010 fuel efficiency standards by 25, making them all eligible for the government's tax reductions and subsidies for environmentally-considerate cars and for the incentives under the green taxation system intended to promote widespread use of fuel-efficient, low pollution vehicles.
- Under the Japanese JC08 test cycle, which approximates actual driving conditions, the Boon's fuel efficiency is 20.8 km/l; and the CL and CL "Limited" two-wheel drive models are the first Daihatsu vehicles to meet the 2015 fuel efficiency standards.
(2) Design that Epitomizes the Beauty of Simplicity
- Styling is simple but incorporates curved surfaces to convey an upscale feel.
- Interior evokes the natural simplicity of living room.
(3) Outstanding Package Combining Excellent Handling with a Highly Functional Interior
- Compact body with a minimal turning radius of 4.3m (CL) and wide viewing angles ensure outstanding maneuverability.
- Interior is roomy and comfortable despite its compact size. The front bench seat (standard on the CL "Limited" and the CX) and the ample storage space boost utility.
(4) Excellent Safety Performance
- Boon is equipped with a vehicle stability control (VSC*) system (manufacturer's option on all models), Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) side airbags for the driver and front-passenger seats, SRS curtain shield airbags for front and rear seats (manufacturer's option on all models), the Dynamic Support Headrest (standard on the CL "Limited" and the CX), and other advanced safety features.
* A registered trademark of Toyota Motor Corporation (used under license).
The monthly sales target for Japan is 800 units; the manufacturer's suggested retail price (excluding consumption taxes) ranges from 1.05 million yen to 1.4 million yen.
(1) All Models Equipped with CVT for High Fuel Efficiency
Two-wheel drive models eligible for tax breaks and subsidies
CL and CL "Limited" (1,000cc)
- Three-cylinder, 1,000cc engine (1KR-FE) has been improved to raise fuel efficiency and lower emissions.
- Fuel efficiency of two-wheel drive models is 22.5 km/l (under the 10-15 Japanese test cycle) as a result of lower friction within the engine and the adoption of an electronic throttle that allows for collaborative control with the CVT.
- The installation of catalysts under the floor and the exhaust manifold enables the two-wheel drive models to have emission levels 75% lower than the 2005 exhaust emissions standards under the JC08 Japanese test cycle (for hot and cold starts).
- Equipped with a newly-developed CVT that adopts Daihatsu's original input-speed reduction type three-shaft gear train system, making it ideally suited to a 1,000 engine.
- Two-wheel drive models exceed the 2010 fuel efficiency standards by 25 reduction), eco-car subsidies, and green tax incentives 50% reduction as environmentally-considerate cars.
- Fuel efficiency of the two-wheel drive models are 20.8 km/l under the JC08 test cycle that approximates actual driving conditions, making them the first DMC vehicles to meet the 2015 fuel efficiency standards.
- Equipped with a newly developed four-cylinder 1,300cc engine (1NR-FE) that provides ample torque at low and medium speeds, powerful acceleration at high speeds, and outstanding fuel efficiency.
- Adoption of the Dual Dynamic Variable Valve Timing (Dual DVVT) mechanism that optimally controls the intake and exhaust valve timing, combined with a high-efficiency intake port, results in exceptional power performance.
- Fuel efficiency has been improved through measures that include the adoption of Dual DVVT as well as the addition of an exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) function and the lowering of internal engine friction.
- Fuel efficiency of 21.0 km/l (under the Japanese 10-15 test cycle), which exceeds the 2010 fuel efficiency standards by 15 of the 2005 standards, making the CX eligible for tax breaks (50 reduction) as an environmentally-considerate car.
(2) Design that Epitomizes the Beauty of Simplicity
Styling is simple but incorporates curved surfaces to convey an upscale feel
- Creative styling that combines an underbody that achieves stability by positioning the wheels at the four corners, with an angled upper body that was modeled after the shape of an egg.
- Curved surfaces as well as the clean, taut surfaces project an image of solidity and vitality. The basic structure is designed to have a simple beauty that that one never gets old.
- Nine body colors, including three new ones, are available to suit the lifestyles of the passengers.
Interior with the natural simplicity of a living room
- Instrument panel evokes a sense of width and has a clean, horizontal look. Its upper portion is decorated with a wallpaper-like pattern, coupled with circular and square-shaped controls, resulting in an up-scale feel that offers lasting enjoyment.
- Front bench seat creates an expansive feel (standard on the CL "Limited" and the CX). Its straight lines are rounded off at the edges to offer the sort of comfort normally found in a person's living room.
- Optimal placement of materials to absorb and block noise, and the optimization of the engine mount position, result in an extremely quiet interior that makes it easy for passengers to converse with each other.
(3) Outstanding Package that Combines Excellent Handling and Highly Functional Interior
- Compact, easy-to-handle body (3,640 mm long; 1,665 mm wide; 1,535 mm tall) creates a minimal turning radius on par with that of a mini vehicle (4.3m for the CL) as well as outstanding maneuverability.
- Visibility in all directions is enhanced and blind spots reduced thanks to the innovative shape of the front pillar shape, expanded window area, and raised hip point.
Highly functional interior
- Expertise gained through Daihatsu's development of mini vehicles was used to create a compact yet roomy interior, which can not only comfortably seat five passengers but at the same time offers ample storage space, including room for a baby stroller.
- Equipped with a number of accessible storage spaces, including an attractive, easy-to-use retractable shopping hook (front), a high-capacity, wide storage shelf, and an illuminated multi-purpose storage tray.
- Rear seats can be arranged in a variety of layouts, including the option of moving the seat cushions forward and down to create a flat space.
(4) Outstanding Safety Performance
Excellent preventive and collision safety
Collision safety features include:
- Total Advanced Function (TAF) body incorporates the concept of omni-directional compatibility.
- Equipped with SRS side airbags (for the driver and front-passenger seats) and SRS curtain shield airbags (for front and rear seats) as a manufacturer's option on all models.
- Dynamic Support Headrest for the front seats reduces whiplash injury (standard on the CL "Limited" and the CX).
- Body structure is designed to minimize head injuries to pedestrians.
Preventive safety features include:
- Equipped with the Vehicle stability control (VSC) function for preventing skidding and enhancing traction (manufacturer's option on all models).
- Incorporates the Antilock braking system (ABS) with an electronic brake-force distribution (EBD) function and a brake booster incorporating a 2-stage mechanical assist mechanism.
Tokyo-TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION (TMC) announces the launch in Japan today of the redesigned "Passo" compact hatchback.
The second-generation Passo further refines the highly maneuverable compact body, spacious interior and class leading1 fuel efficiency and environmental performance of the popular first-generation Passo released in June 2004, with the new vehicle embodying input, from the planning stage, from female consumers in Japan. This development has taken the Passo to the next level and demonstrates TMC's ongoing efforts to design vehicles to meet consumer needs.
The vehicle comes in two distinct model styles: the simple and unpretentious "Passo", which offers a sense reassurance and familiarity, and the "Passo + Hana", which imbues an understated glamour for a strong impression. These unique designs, along with 11 available body colors, create variety that enables vehicle selection ideally suited to express individuality. Thanks to efforts made to enhance ease-of-operation, utility and drivability, including the redesign of the front pillars for better visibility and the creation of more storage space within easy reach of the driver, the vehicle is more appealing than ever-especially with its highly affordable price, which starts at 1 million yen.
The new Passo, like its predecessor, was developed in conjunction with Daihatsu Motor Co., Ltd.
Monthly sales target for Japan: 6,500 units
Assembly Plant: Ikeda Plant, Daihatsu Motor Co., Ltd.
Wide Range of Variations to Suit User Personality
Model style: Passo
* Large lower grille and round halogen headlights give endearing front view
* Rear bumper and body highlight vehicle's width and low center of gravity, creating sense of stability of rear profile
* Interior offers living-room-like comfort, with wallpaper-style pattern on instrument-panel top, clock-like semi-circular gauges and a simple, specially designed audio system
* Flat instrument panel emphasizes expansive breadth of vehicle, thus creating spacious cabin, while both round and square individual components convey fun and relaxation
* Simply designed front seats with built-in headrests and soft, cotton-like seat covers create comfortable interior space
* Kinari (light beige) interior creates soothing and natural atmosphere
Model style: Passo + Hana
* Center-emphasized front bumper, combined with two-tiered front grille and four-beam halogen headlights, creates vibrant front view with strong presence
* Combination taillights with clear lenses offer upscale-looking rear view
* Blacked-out door sashes and sumptuous champagne-tinted outside door handles, indicator lights built into side mirrors and vehicle's wheels all exude sense of vibrancy
* Expansive front bench seat with Jacquard woven seat covers and armrests add to interior's sophistication
* Interior is in subdued Choco brown
The 11 available body colors have rich and evocative names, with three developed exclusively for the new Passo being:
* Uguisu Metallic (light green reminiscent of early spring)
* Kinako Metallic (earthy, fine shade similar to color of kinako [soybean powder])
* Akari Mica Metallic (warm tone like that of candle flame)
Welcome Ease-of-handling and Usability Package
The compact body (length: 3,640 mm [Passo + Hana: 3,650 mm]; width: 1,665 mm; height: 1,535 mm) seats five adults comfortably and has a roomy luggage space ideal for everyday use.
The adoption of a column shift allows easy movement between the front seats, while optimal seat placement secures ample legroom for the rear seats.
The shape of the front pillars, 10-mm-higher hip point and a lowered beltline combine to improve driver visibility.
In addition to a minimal turning radius of 4.3 m (when using 13-inch tires), ease-of-driving has been enhanced with a reverse-linked side-view mirror on the front-passenger side (standard on the 1.3G and L package vehicles) and the rearview monitor (available as a manufacturer's option on all models except the V package), both of which allow a clear view of parking space lines.
Vehicle design is aimed at everyday use, thus features a handy, retractable hook for hanging shopping bags placed within easy reach of the driver, a multi-purpose storage tray (equipped with light for visibility at night) and a wide storage shelf.
Easily to arrange seating, including rear-seat cushions that can be repositioned to create a flat space that extends to the back of the front seats, expand the potential uses of the interior space.
A Smart Entry & Start System allows the front doors to be locked and unlocked with only a light touch on the door handle. The system also features a push-button for starting and stopping the engine.
An automatic air-conditioning system includes a push-button function to filter out pollen, dust and other impurities from the air.
Environmentally Friendly and People-friendly Functional Performance
All models adopt a continuously variable transmission (CVT), with both the 1.0-liter 1KR-FE engine and the new 1.3-liter 1NR-FE engine featuring the Dual Variable Valve Timing-intelligent system, thus giving a smooth, comfortable, stable ride.
Fuel efficiency has been improved with an eye to reducing CO2 emissions. The 1.0-liter model (with front-wheel-drive) gets 22.5 km/L in the traditional 10-15 test cycle outlined by the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT); equivalent to 103 g/km of CO2 emissions. In the JC08 test cycle, the vehicle gets 20.8 km/L, which is equivalent to 112 g/km of CO2 emissions. Meanwhile, the 1.3-liter model (with front-wheel-drive) gets 21.0 km/L in the 10-15 test cycle, equivalent to 111 g/km of CO2 emissions.
The 1.0-liter model (with front-wheel-drive) surpasses the existing Japanese 2010 fuel efficiency standards2 by 25. All vehicles in the series achieve emission levels 75% lower than the 2005 standards under the MLIT Approval System for Low-emission Vehicles.
Under the Japanese government's taxation system introduced in April 2009 for environmentally friendly vehicles, the 1.0-liter model (with front-wheel-drive) qualifies for a 75 reduction in the same taxes.
An Eco Driving Indicator that shows fuel-efficient vehicle operation and a button-operated driving status monitor that indicates the vehicle's average fuel efficiency are both standard on all Passo models.
The vehicles were produced in line with TMC's Eco-Vehicle Assessment System, an original, comprehensive, environmental impact assessment system that sets targets at the start of vehicle development to help reduce environmentally harmful factors by such means as the balanced reduction of CO2 emissions.
Review of materials, processing methods and adhesives used for interior parts reduced volatile organic compounds and sometimes-unpleasant interior odors to levels compliant with the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association's "Vehicle Cabin VOC Testing Methods (for Passenger Cars)", which are voluntary industry standards.
The VSC & TRC system (Vehicle Stability Control & Traction Control system; available as a manufacturer's option on all models except the V package)-created by combining the VSC system that monitors lateral traction and automatically controls engine output and distribution of braking force with the TRC system that limits wheel-spin during starting and acceleration-secures appropriate driving force and facilitates smooth acceleration.
All vehicles come equipped with SRS airbags for both the driver and front-passenger seats. SRS side airbags also provide chests protection, while SRS curtain-shield airbags aim to reduce head injuries.
Exceptional collision safety in the event of frontal, side or rear collisions is pursued through the advanced Global Outstanding Assessment body that incorporates omni-directional compatibility.
The vehicle's body is designed to reduce head or leg injury to pedestrians in the unfortunate event of a collision.
The front seats are equipped with Active Headrests that shift to an appropriate position in the case of a rear-end collision in order to lessen stress on the neck and reduce the risk of whiplash injuries.
Welcabs: Vehicles with special factory-installed features for the disabled
Welcab Lift-up Front Passenger Seat models for both Type A and Type B vehicles feature a seat that slides down to the outside of the vehicle for easier ingress and regress. The compact design of the lift-up mechanism increases rear-seat legroom, while a seat-slide switch and reclining switch on both sides of the lift-up seat now also enable operation from the driver's seat. The Type B vehicle comes with a motorized wheelchair storage device as a standard feature.
The 1.0-liter and 1.3-liter front-wheel-drive models qualify for a reduction in the automobile acquisition tax and automobile weight tax under the Japanese government's taxation system for environmentally friendly vehicles.
Welcab models of the Passo will be available from April 20.
1Compared to vehicles of similar engine displacement
2Specified by the Japanese Law Concerning the Rational Use of Energy