Every year, Harley-Davidson breaks out the good ol' Accessories Catalog to bedeck a few of its most desirable models in a veritable smorgasbord of chrome, leather and outlandish paint schemes. See here, here, here and here for photo evidence of this undeniable fact. For 2010, though, The Motor Company is taking a darker approach to its highest-end model, the CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide.
H-D slathers the dark on its new CVO model, with the whole Gloss Black Rumble Collection making its appearance on the Glide. In total, the Crimson Mist Black / Dark Slate (with flame graphics, naturally) motorcycle comes with approximately 185 unique black parts, components and accessories, which join a black and chrome Screamin' Eagle Twin Cam 110 engine (that's 1803cc and 115 pound-feet of torque, H-D's biggest and most powerful factory V-twin) and a six-speed Cruise Drive transmission to complete the nearly chromeless motif.
Harley's whole bag of techno tricks are also featured on the CVO Ultra, including a 160-watt CD/AM/FM/WB/MP3 Advanced Audio System by Harman-Kardon, CB and intercom, passenger audio with controls, cruise control and standard XM Radio. Finally, the HD-specific Garmin Road Tech zūmo 660 GPS unit with touch-screen display tells you where to point the handlebars.
Want one? Harley-Davidson only plans to build 999 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide in 2010, each with a base price of $36,499, which makes this the most expensive model in Harley's entire lineup this year. Check out our high-res image gallery below and click past the break for the complete press release.
Serialized Edition with Blacked Out Touring Comfort and Road Tech™ zūmo® Navigator
MILWAUKEE (January 24, 2010) – The new 2010 Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO) Ultra Classic® Electra Glide® trades the shine of chrome for a fade to black in its debut as the new, darker version of this truly exceptional Harley-Davidson Touring motorcycle.
Each motorcycle is serialized from one to 999, and displays a formidable array of blacked out components, led by the serialized CB pod insert and the Gloss Black Rumble Collection and low-smoked windshield, the new CVO Ultra adds leading-edge technology with a handlebar-mounted Road Tech™ zūmo® 660 GPS Navigator and an integrated automatic lock system that now includes the ignition knob.
The CVO Ultra is powered by a black and chrome Screamin' Eagle® Twin Cam 110™ engine and a 6-speed Cruise Drive® transmission, which is the largest-displacement V-Twin engine offered from the factory by Harley-Davidson. Besides the black powertrain, this menacing touring bike revels in all things dark with a Crimson Mist Black / Dark Slate and Flame graphics base color, and approximately 185 other unique black parts, components and accessories meticulously melded to form and function by the CVO team.
Among the main attractions on the dark road to CVO Ultra custom inspiration are the Contrast Chrome Roulette wheels, the Rumble Collection featuring nine Gloss Black accessories from mirrors to saddlebag latch covers, black engine and saddlebag guards, and Diamond Black gauge faces. All these deeply dark features combine to make the Ultra into an inspired motorcycle that could only come from Harley-Davidson CVO.
The CVO Ultra presents a lower profile up front with a 6.5-inch smoked windshield and adds premium Touring features like anti-lock braking system (ABS), LED saddlebag lights, Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI), a six-gallon fuel tank, Brembo brakes and 160-watt CD/AM/FM/WB/MP3 Advanced Audio System by Harman-Kardon, CB and intercom, and passenger audio with controls, cruise control, plus standard XM Radio.
The CVO Ultra is built on the innovative Touring chassis introduced by Harley-Davidson in 2009, based on a single-spar, rigid backbone frame and swingarm specifically developed to suit the needs of long-haul touring rides.
Key CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide Features
- Screamin' Eagle Black and Chrome Twin Cam 110 engine with 110-cid (1803cc), rubber-mounted to the frame, is rated at 115 ft. lbs. of torque at 3750 rpm. The 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission with black and chrome case features a helical-cut fifth gear.
- Developed for Harley-Davidson by Garmin, the Road Tech zūmo 660 has a new mounting position for convenient viewing by both rider and passenger with a glove-friendly touch screen, left-handed controls and a bright, UV-resistant display that's easy to read in sunlight.
- Gloss Black Rumble Collection featuring rider footboard inserts and pans, passenger footboard inserts and pans, shifter pegs, brake pedal, highway pegs, mirrors, windshield trim, saddlebag latch covers and heated hand grips with end caps.
- Contrast Chrome Roulette wheels, 17-inch front and 16-inch rear.
- Suspended, dual control heated leather seat with new perforated printed insert.
- Leather passenger backrest with adjustable lumbar support and new perforated, leather insert.
- New custom paint scheme is Crimson Mist Black / Dark Slate with flame graphics.
Harley-Davidson Motor Company produces heavyweight custom, cruiser and touring motorcycles and offers a complete line of Harley-Davidson motorcycle parts, accessories, riding gear and apparel, and general merchandise. For more information, visit Harley-Davidson's Web site at www.harley-davidson.com.