• Jan 21, 2010
Instant gratification can be an amazing thing, a fact evidenced once again by the always-on-top-of-things nature of Twitter. Apparently, Detroit Auto Show attendees were evacuated from Cobo Hall a short time ago after a reported electrical fire broke out at the Audi exhibit. Says the official NAIAS Twitter feed:
There was a small electrical fire inside Cobo. The fire is out and everything is under control... The building was cleared as a precautionary measure. The show will reopen in a couple hours.
Reports are unclear as to how the fire actually started, with some witnesses seeing sparks and others reporting flames as high as the ceiling with pieces of display falling down. Regardless, it's clear that thick smoke currently fills Cobo Hall and police, firefighters and other emergency personnel are on the scene.

Showgoers can get their hands stamped in order to get a voucher to come back another day, or wait until 5PM when the doors are currently scheduled to reopen. More info as we get it. Click here for a few photos posted on Twitter. Thanks for the tip, Chris!

[Source: Twitter]


I'm reporting this comment as:

Reported comments and users are reviewed by Autoblog staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week to determine whether they violate Community Guideline. Accounts are penalized for Community Guidelines violations and serious or repeated violations can lead to account termination.


    • 1 Second Ago
  • 44 Comments
      • 4 Years Ago
      I know those 2 sexy copper R8s were just too hot to handle.
      • 4 Years Ago
      I thought Audi took care of all of their electrical problems...
        • 4 Years Ago
        I thought it was the "unintended acceleration" issues for Audi....err oops, that is now Toyota's.
      • 4 Years Ago
      I was at the Detroit Auto Show yesterday. The wiring above the Audi exibit caught fire. The flames were about 6-8 inches high and about 8 feet along the wire. Everyone was evacuated by staff and Police around 1:20 p.m.. The odor from the electrical fire was terrible. We were let back in to Cobo Hall about 5:30 p.m.
      • 4 Years Ago
      Internal combustion? I thought you said external combustion, OH NO!
        • 4 Years Ago
        mft... hmft... hahahahahahahahaha...!... i can NOT believe you just said that!
      • 4 Years Ago
      and thus etron begins its world takeover
      • 4 Years Ago
      Is Audi using the old Ford cruise-control units now?
      • 4 Years Ago
      see electric vehicles combust too
      • 4 Years Ago
      Damn people need to learn how to cook
        • 4 Years Ago
        I JUST PRAY TO GOD NO S550's WERE HURT !!!
      • 4 Years Ago
      Their new models are so hot, they start fires!
      • 4 Years Ago
      don't electrical fires normally originate at the jaguar booth?
        • 4 Years Ago
        "don't electrical fires normally originate at the jaguar booth? "

        "Normally originate"..lol.

        It's like saying "spontaneous combustion" is a regular feature for any Jag booth.
        • 4 Years Ago
        I know they have a history of starting in the Toyota Sienna. (true story)
      • 4 Years Ago
      one word: coilpacks.
      • 4 Years Ago
      Audi sets your hearts on fire.
        • 4 Years Ago
        ...as well as your building
    • Load More Comments