• May 19, 2009

Click above to watch a video of the this new garage door opener in action after the jump

If you haven't yet embraced modernity and installed an automatic garage door opener, you're in luck, as you may now be able to take advantage of a clever new sound-activated unit developed by an English motorcycle rider for his BMW. This unique device actually uses the bike's horn to transmit an audible signal to open and close the door. As you'll see in the demonstration video embedded after the jump, it's highly effective. Presumably, this technology could be adapted to work with any vehicle, though it is potentially expensive and temperamental.

Watch the full demonstration after the jump. Thanks for the tip, Robert!

[Source: Today's Big Thing]




I'm reporting this comment as:

Reported comments and users are reviewed by Autoblog staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week to determine whether they violate Community Guideline. Accounts are penalized for Community Guidelines violations and serious or repeated violations can lead to account termination.


    • 1 Second Ago
  • 23 Comments
      • 5 Years Ago
      so.. can I just play this video on my phone outside his house and get into his garage?
        • 5 Years Ago
        Exactly what I thought... So everyone can honk the horn to open your garage? How is that safe?

        And even then - how would the neighbours respond to a honk past midnight?
      • 5 Years Ago
      I was TOTALLY expecting a real piece of technology..
      • 5 Years Ago
      Why is the garage door opener wearing clothes?
        • 5 Years Ago
        Why don't you take a seat over there?
      • 5 Years Ago
      60% of the time it works every time. The other 40% of the time, the garage door opener is pooping, showering, or doing the mailman.
      • 5 Years Ago
      Great... so anyone can open your garage and get at your loot... and possibly gain easier entry into your home. Brilliant.

      Plus, aren't the headlight flasher/opener setups better and less annoying to the neighbors?
        • 5 Years Ago
        Only if your wife is blind an stupid.
        • 5 Years Ago
        I'm guessing he didn't watch the video and has no idea what he's talking about.
        • 5 Years Ago
        And everyone that has a wife who stays home all the time? Your argument makes no sense.
      • 5 Years Ago
      It all so cooks and clean's.
      • 5 Years Ago
      lol
      • 5 Years Ago
      i'd be pissed to be his neighbor... and his girlfriend
      • 5 Years Ago
      That was his daughter not his wife.
      • 5 Years Ago
      I married her Sister thinking she would do the same …… she must be defective.
      When I honk she locks the deadbolts on the doors.

      I had to hard wire a switch from a spare remote, so now all I have to do is roll into the driveway, reach down and push the switch on my left side cover. Presto the garage door opens.
      • 5 Years Ago
      I just keep my clicker in the tag bag's map holder.....


      0:38-0:47 = win.
      • 5 Years Ago
      I heard a while back, of an alternate garage door opening device.

      It hooks to the headlight circuit in some way, and by flashing the headlights 2 or 3 times triggers a universal garage door opener radio signal from the add-on device.

      So it looks like you pull up and flash your lights on and off at the garage door, and it opens, but in actuality, a radio-signal, just like an interior mounted button transmitter would otherwise do, actually opens the door.

      I would think, if such a device were compact enough, it could be wired to the "flash-to-pass" lead of a motorcycle, or the high-beam positive lead, or whatever, and work for a bike, by pulsing the flash to pass button, with the device buried under the fairing somewhere.

      If said device is still available somewhere...
        ibcr8iv
        • 5 Years Ago
        Here's what you're talking about: http://www.f2ptechnologies.com/
        I've had one in my car for over 3 years with no issues. The system can be connected to any vehicle with 12V headlights- motorcycles included.
        • 5 Years Ago
        Thanks. I'll bookmark that. I had forgotten the actual name.
        • 5 Years Ago
        Holy crap, that thing is 80 bucks??

        All you need is a 12 volt relay (really cheap), the garage door opener (should already have it), and some soldering skills.
    • Load More Comments