It looks like the concessions and government intervention aren't going to be enough to keep Chrysler out of bankruptcy. The AP is reporting that talks between Chrysler's lenders and the Treasury Department have broken down, meaning the company will not be able to reduce its $6.9 billion in secured debt. That debt reduction was seen as one of the last pieces of the puzzle in keeping Chrysler out of bankruptcy following the union concessions that had been made earlier this week.

Although the four banks that hold 70 percent of Chrysler's debt had agreed to wipe it off the books for a cool $2 billion, the snag came from the remaining 30 percent of the debt which is held by 46 hedge funds. Although the government had added an additional $250 million to the debt cancellation cause, the hedge funds apparently felt they could do better.

The groups had been given a deadline of 6PM Wednesday to settle the matter, but that deadline has passed. The Treasury Department decided to end talks around midnight because there was no central authority, and bargaining with 46 funds was too much.

There is still a midnight deadline today, but it is believed President Obama will allow Chrysler to go into bankruptcy protection, with a judge determining how much creditors will get. Chrysler would continue to operate, however, likely with Fiat leadership. It is widely believed that Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne will replace Chrysler CEO Robert Nardelli.

[Source: AP via CBS News Image Source: Bill Pugliano/Getty]

I'm reporting this comment as:

Reported comments and users are reviewed by Autoblog staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week to determine whether they violate Community Guideline. Accounts are penalized for Community Guidelines violations and serious or repeated violations can lead to account termination.


    • 1 Second Ago
  • From Our Partners

    You May Like
    Links by Zergnet
    Share This Photo X