Paper industry abuses alt-fuel tax credit to get some green and waste fuel
The paper industry uses one of its own by-products, a lignin rich sludge called "black liquor" as a fuel for heating the wood chips and separating the fibers. The industry, until recently, only used the black liquor but when someone realized they could get the tax credit, International Paper and other companies started blending in diesel. The diesel isn't needed, it's only there to get the government money. The tax credit could earn the paper industry $8 billion this year, turning it from loss to profit if something is not done to eliminate it. Thanks to Bill for the tip!
[Source: The Nation]
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies