We're used to hearing about big-time auctions from the likes of Barrett-Jackson, RM, Christies, etc., but you can add one more to the list: Mecum, based out of Marengo, Il. The firm's auctions can be viewed live on Discovery HD, and they've already booked cars like an original Shelby Daytona Coupe for their 22nd annual Spring Classic Auction in May.
Also going up on the block will be Dana Mecum's personal Chevelle collection. The cars will be sold as a group, meaning the winning bidder will be taking home a total of eight Chevelles ranging from a 1965 SS hardtop with a 327ci V8 to a numbers-matching 1970 convertible with a 450-hp LS6 V8 and four-speed transmission. Check out the gallery below, as well as descriptions for each vehicle in the press release after the jump.
Related GalleryMecum Chevelle Collection
MARENGO, Ill. - Mecum, the high-performance and collector car auction specialists, is giving collectors a chance to own an elite collection of Chevrolet Chevelles when they are auctioned at the 22nd Dana Mecum Original Spring Classic Auction, May 13-17, 2009, in Indianapolis, Ind.
Dana's Chevelle Collection is an unparalleled assembly of high-performance convertibles and hardtops. The collection will be sold as a group on Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 3:00 p.m. EST. The sale will be broadcast live on national TV during "Mecum Auto Auction: Muscle Cars & More" on HD Theater - Discovery Communications' first 24-hour high-definition cable network.
* Lot S121 - 1965 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 2-Door Hardtop 327/350 HP, 4-speed. Very popular among collectors today, this carefully preserved classic has low miles and remains in its original and unrestored condition.
* Lot S122 - 1965 Chevrolet Chevelle SS Z16 2-Door Hardtop 396/375 HP. This big block muscle car was the original Z16 prototype for GM, making it the very first SS396 Chevelle. It boasts a 4-speed manual transmission and Rally Red exterior.
* Lot S123 - 1967 Chevrolet Chevelle SS Convertible 396/350 HP, 4-speed manual. The car was originally built for display at GM's Corporate Headquarters showroom in Detroit.
* Lot S124 - 1969 Chevrolet Chevelle COPO Hardtop 427/425 HP, 4-speed manual. As one of 323 vehicles produced, this rare L72 Central Office Production Order is the only black 4-speed manual ever built.
* Lot S125 - 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle Convertible 396/375 HP L78 Engine. Featuring a 4-speed manual transmission and documented with Protect-O-Plate and Build Sheet, it is believed to be one of six existing SS396 L78 of 1970 vintage with its combination of original equipment, including power windows, tilt steering, White stripes and Cowl Induction.
* Lot S126 - 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle Convertible 454/450 HP LS6 Engine, 4-speed manual. This well-documented Fathom Blue Chevelle is numbers matching and has a 100% original engine, M-22 transmission and rear end. It was the first LS6 convertible in the Diamond Certification Registry.
* Lot S127 - 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle Hardtop 454/450 HP LS6, Automatic. With 32.9 actual miles, collectors would be hard-pressed to find a better example of an unrestored original LS6 that this gem, which is described as the lowest-mileage, highest-horsepower muscle car in existence.
"These Chevelles are highly valued in the market today because of their high horsepower and special options," said Dana Mecum, president of Mecum Auction. "The LS6, for example, is the most powerful engine offered in a production car and is on the A-list of the most sought-after collector cars in the world. With such remarkable caliber and variety of historically significant, rare vehicles coming up for sale at the Original Spring Classic, that auction is the ideal stage for this collection to be showcased."
The Chevelle Collection joins other high-profile vehicles - including a 1967 Camaro Cherokee - at the must-attend Original Spring Classic Auction at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. The event is open to the general public and tickets are available at the door for $10. For more information, visit www.Mecum.com. The Original Spring Classic Auction is expected to feature 1,250 vehicles and will be broadcast live on Mecum's popular television series, "Mecum Auto Auction: Muscle Cars & More" on HD Theater - Discovery Communications' first 24-hour high-definition cable network, offering compelling real-world and motorized content.
The Mecum Auction Company has been specializing in the sale of collector cars, muscle cars and Corvettes for more than 20 years. In spring 2008, the company sold its 50,000th car. Consignment, Bidder, event and accommodation information is available online at www.Mecum.com or by calling 815.568.8888.