• Mar 18th 2009 at 1:25PM
  • 7
Click above for a high-res image gallery of the Toyota iQ

Scion has decided to end speculation about whether a new concept vehicle will be unveiled at the New York Auto Show by issuing a press release confirming our suspicions. In the process, though, the automaker has stirred the pot back up regarding what type of vehicle will be on display. According to the super short blurb (pasted after the break), the new concept will be a "micro-subcompact" and will represent "a new segment for the brand aimed toward the growing urbanization trend."

Sounds like a U.S. version of the diminutive Toyota iQ to us. The new model may wear the tD moniker that's been seen floating around the U.S. Patent and Trademark offices and would not displace the aging tC in the automaker's line. Come back around noon EDT on April 8th to find out for sure.


[Source: Scion]

PRESS RELEASE:

SCION TO REVEAL CONCEPT CAR AT
2009 NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW

TORRANCE, Calif., March 18, 2009 – Scion will unveil a micro-subcompact concept car at the 2009 New York International Auto Show. The concept reflects Scion's youthful image and represents a new segment for the brand aimed toward the growing urbanization trend.

The Scion press conference will take place on Wednesday, April 8 at 12:05 p.m. EDT in the Galleria on level four in the Javits Convention Center.

Production versions of the xB urban utility vehicle, tC sports coupe and xD urban subcompact five-door will be on display in the Scion space as well as five highly-modified vehicles that debuted at the 2008 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show in Las Vegas.

A video clip of the press conference will be available for viewing following the event on the scion.com website.



I'm reporting this comment as:

Reported comments and users are reviewed by Autoblog staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week to determine whether they violate Community Guideline. Accounts are penalized for Community Guidelines violations and serious or repeated violations can lead to account termination.


    • 1 Second Ago
  • 7 Comments
      • 6 Years Ago
      Finally!!!!! I have written so many e-mail to Toyota about the IQ, I'm sure they are sick and tired of me.

      My poor, tired old 01 ECHO has 193k on it, and may well be good for another 100k, but I want +50 mpg. I need a commuter car for another 7 years, and that will about wear out one more.

      Sad that the best I was looking at, after 8 years, was a 'wanna be' ECHO (Yaris).
      • 6 Years Ago
      Fingers crossed. I think there's a place for the iQ in America, and it would surely take the Smart to school.
      • 6 Years Ago
      The smart fortwo is better than this car. It's quicker, has more power, and more importantly, has a safety cage. The iQ doesn't, and has 12 airbags to compensate. The thing doesn't even have a real glovebox. The smart does. smart will show Toyota what their real iQ is when the crash test results are made public.
        • 6 Years Ago
        I just watched some videos on youtube, and I withdraw my previous statement. The iQ does look pretty cool, and safe.
      • 6 Years Ago
      I'm sorry to be a cynic but I just can't help myself today.
      I will bet that they bring it; but, oh..... American's won't want a fuel efficient car.
      No.. they will think we will not be happy with anything less than 100hp and think we are fine with something that gets a whole 23 or even 24mpg.
      Oh miracle of technology.... it might even push 30mpg on the highway.
      ;-0
      If it only takes premium fuel then I might go for my wrists as I just can't take it any more.


      - mike the cynic

      ... I'll believe good news only when I see it at this point.
      • 6 Years Ago
      I still wouldn't buy one, but it is better than a Smart.

      More room, likely better mpg and almost certainly an available manual transmission and some form of automatic that are both miles better than the semi-auto lurchfest in the smart car transmission.

      • 6 Years Ago
      It is a beautiful car. This simple car falls under my 95% rule. It meets 95% of my needs. I can rent or borrow a car, truck or van for the other 5% of my needs. I encourage everyone else to look at car purchases this way.