Mitsubishi pulls out of Dakar and other cross-country races
Wednesday, 04 February 2009, 0500 GMT
MITSUBISHI MOTORS TO WITHDRAW FROM DAKAR RALLY AND ALL CROSS-COUNTRY RACES
* 26 entries, 12 victories, including 7 consecutive wins
* Deterioration in global economy forces decision
* Includes the Dakar Rally, Dakar Series and all cross-country races
TOKYO, February 4, 2009 - Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) announced today their decision to withdraw from the Dakar Rally, the Dakar Series and all cross-country rallies.
In its twenty-six entries in the event, Mitsubishi Motors won the rally a total of twelve times, including seven consecutive victories. In addition to this unparalleled record the company also gained 4WD technology that informs its production vehicles, most visible in their durability and off road performance.
The sudden deterioration of the global economy made it necessary for the company to focus its resources more tightly, and for this reason the decision was taken to withdraw its Mitsubishi Motorsports (MMSP) works team from all cross-country competitions.
- Most and least efficient car companies
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Find and compare 2017 Models