Breakthrough battery to drop this year?
According to Doerr, there is a company somewhere in the Midwest, currently in "stealth" mode, building manufacturing capacity with plans to start shipping product by the end of the year. They have a lithium ion battery that is stable, durable and with "higher effective storage capacity." He says, "The result is electric vehicles will be able to travel twice as far, and eventually three times as far, to over 100 miles before recharging." Of course, those familiar with Apteras's 100+ mile and Tesla's 200+ mile range won't find that figure especially attractive and wish he had spoken in terms of watt hours per kilogram. If they really plan to ship so soon, we suspect further details should be forthcoming before too long. We'll keep you posted.
[Source: New York Times]
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies