Click above for a high-res gallery of the 2009 Dodge Ram HD
The 2009 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty was left to rumble on its own out back while the electric concepts took to the Chrysler stage at the 2009 Detroit Auto Show. But the hulking oil-burner certainly deserves mention. Powerplants come in two flavors on the 2500 models: a 5.7-liter V8 with 355 hp and 395 lb-ft. of twist and twizzle, and the big daddy 6.7-liter Cummins with 350 hp and 650 lb-ft. The 6.7-liter diesel particulate filter reduces NOx emissions by 90%, meaning the car passes 2010 standards right now, and if you step up to the Ram 3500, you get the 6.7-liter standard – because obviously you go by the name Hoss.
Inside, the manual is no longer an option with the 5.7-liter, but Dodge wants to make that up to you with an available Infinity sound system, Internet connectivity with uConnect, and a power-sliding rear window. You'll want to make sure you choose your truck carefully, though – Dodge touts them as the longest lasting trucks out there: the 6.7-liter is expected to get you 350,000 miles before its first major overhaul. You can learn more than you ever wanted to know about Dodge Rams after the jump, and check out the gallery of high-res photos below.
Related GalleryDodge Ram Heavy Duty
2009 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty: Cleanest, Longest-lasting and Most Durable Pickups on the Market
Auburn Hills, Mich. , Sep 1, 2008 -
For pickup owners who need extraordinary power, capability, durability and low emissions, the 2009 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty pickups provide it all.
Dodge Ram Heavy Duty pickups offer an available 6.7-liter Cummins® turbodiesel engine producing 350 horsepower (261 kW) and 650 lb.-ft. (881 N•m) of low-end torque. The 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel engine already achieves 2010 NOx emission standards, making it the cleanest and best-performing heavy-duty pickup truck on the market. The engine is standard on Dodge Ram 3500 models.
More than 80 percent of Dodge Ram 2500 and Ram 3500 customers choose diesel-powered models. The 2009 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty's 6.7-liter turbodiesel engine uses a diesel particulate filter (DPF) to virtually eliminate particulate matter emissions and an adsorber catalyst to reduce oxides of nitrogen (NOx) by as much as 90 percent, making Dodge the only manufacturer to meet stringent 2010 emissions standards – today.
The standard power plant on Dodge Ram 2500 trucks is the new 5.7-liter HEMI® V-8 engine, delivering best-in-class 355 horsepower (264 kW) at 5,600 rpm and 395 lb.-ft. of torque (536 N•m) at 4,400 rpm. It provides best-in-class acceleration and towing capability compared with competitive vehicles with similar-sized gasoline engines.
But customers want durability, too, and Dodge delivers with the longest-lasting, most durable pickups on the market.
There's more to the 2009 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty than raw power – available are amenities including Infinity® sound system, uconnect phone, uconnect gps navigation system, rear-seat DVD (Quad Cab® only), bucket seats and power-sliding rear window.
WHAT'S NEW FOR 2009
• New 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 producing 355 horsepower and 395 lb.-ft. of torque
• Automatic transmission standard with 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 on all 2500 models
• 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel standard on all 3500 models
• Limited-slip rear axle standard on all 3500 models
• Larger front (360 mm) and rear (358 mm) brake rotors with twin-piston calipers
• Manual transmission no longer available with 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 engine
SAFETY AND SECURITY
• Remote start available on models equipped with 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel engine
• Power Wagon available only in Quad Cab configuratio
The 2009 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty features signature broad-shouldered front fenders flanking a fully chromed, "crosshair" grille. The front view of the truck is instantly recognizable with a subtly creased hood and sculpted front bumper.
Whether in the regular cab, Quad Cab, Mega Cab® or Power Wagon® configuration, single rear wheel or dually, 2009 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty trucks are styled to follow through on the signature Dodge themes of bold, powerful and capable. Designed for work or play, the 2009 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty models are as striking as they are capable, with details including jewel-like round halogen headlamps set within angular bezels, providing optimal light intensity.
Inside, the 2009 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty may be configured for any assignment, with interior appointments ranging from basic to sumptuous.
Dodge Ram Mega Cab continues to offer the most interior passenger space, cargo capacity and functionality of any pickup truck on the market. It features many innovative seating and storage configurations, including the only reclining rear seats available in a pickup truck, with seat backs tilting from 22 to 37 degrees. The rear-passenger area of the 2009 Dodge Ram Mega Cab offers best-in-class leg room of 44.2 inches, while rear seats also split 60/40, fold down and move forward, providing several configurations for maximum interior cargo capacity and flexibility. In total, the 2009 Dodge Ram Mega Cab offers an astonishing 143.2 cubic feet of interior space.
The 2009 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty's 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel produces 650 lb.-ft. of low-end torque (881 N•m) at 1,500 rpm and 350 horsepower (261 kW) at 3,013 rpm.
As clean as it is powerful, the 6.7-liter turbodiesel engine includes several technologies to improve fuel efficiency and reduce unburned hydrocarbons. In addition to the NOx adsorber and the DPF, the 6.7-liter turbodiesel engine includes a cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system and high-flow, electronically controlled Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT™); an oxidation catalyst within the exhaust system; and a new closed crankcase ventilation system that eliminates crankcase fumes and oil carryover.
Durability is another strong point of the 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel. It has life-to-major overhaul intervals of 350,000 miles, providing more than a 100,000-mile advantage over the competition.
The 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel also includes the segment-first standard exhaust brake.
To accommodate the power and torque of the new 6.7-liter turbodiesel engine, a choice of transmissions is offered: a standard six-speed manual gearbox or an available 68RFE six-speed automatic with Electronic Range Select that enables customers to select gears that best match driving conditions.
The 2009 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty's new 5.7-liter HEMI is backed up by the 545RFE five-speed automatic with an overdrive gear that helps reduce noise and fuel consumption.
Since a majority of Dodge Ram Heavy Duty buyers opt for four-wheel drive, two transfer cases are available on Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 models. One features traditional manual shift, and the other offers electric shift-on-the-fly capability.
For customers who want the ultimate in four-wheel-drive capability, the 2009 Dodge Ram Power Wagon comes equipped with electric-locking front and rear differentials, electronic disconnecting sway bar, 32-inch BF Goodrich off-road tires and a custom-built Warn® 12,000-lb. winch.
The 2009 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty is built on one of the stiffest frames on a pickup truck, fully boxed and partially hydroformed for precision and strength. Combined with Dodge Ram Heavy Duty's steering system, Ram delivers precise feel and response, tuned to give the driver positive feedback and control.
Suspension setups are designed for capability and ride dynamics. An independent, double-wishbone front suspension with coil-over shock absorbers is standard on two-wheel-drive Dodge Heavy Duty models. Four-wheel-drive versions are equipped with a rigid-beam front axle supported by a five-link, coil-spring suspension. Rear suspension, common to both two- and four-wheel-drive models, is composed of a heavy-duty solid axle and longitudinal springs. The Hotchkiss-design rear suspension uses leaf springs that reduce wheel hop and deliver confident handling when fully loaded.
The braking system has been improved for better stopping power, with 2 percent larger front (360 mm) and rear (358 mm) brake rotors. Front brake calipers are 7 percent larger, with twin 60 mm pistons for grip. Brake pads are also 14 percent thicker (12.5 mm) and have a 77 percent larger surface area (99 square cm).
Owing to their power and strength, the 2009 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty trucks boast maximum towing capability of 16,850 lbs., a payload of 5,180 lbs. and Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) and Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 24,000 lbs. and 12,200 lbs., respectively.
The 2009 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty regular cab offers surprising flexibility for its two-door configuration. The unique cab size not only allows for improved seat travel and ease in reclining for driver and passengers, but also provides extra storage behind rear seats.
The 2009 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty Quad Cab® features rear doors that open 85 degrees for convenient access, with windows that roll all the way down. An optional 60/40 split-bench rear seat makes it easier to accommodate passengers and cargo. Seat cushions fold up to create a tall storage area from floor to ceiling.
Unsurpassed strength and durability
• The 2009 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty features a 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel engine producing 650 lb.-ft. of torque (881 N•m) at 1,500 rpm and 350 horsepower (261 kW) at 3,013 rpm – making it the cleanest and best-performing heavy-duty pickup truck on the market
• First diesel engine in the U.S. truck market to meet 2010 federal emission standards
• 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel engine features life-to-major overhaul intervals of 350,000 miles, providing more than a 100,000-mile advantage over the competition, as well as standard-duty oil change intervals of 7,500 miles
• Six-speed automatic transmission with Electronic Range Select available with 6.7-liter turbodiesel
• New 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 engine delivers best-in-class 355 horsepower (264 kW) at 5,600 rpm and 395 lb.-ft. of torque (536 N•m) at 4,400 rpm
• Dodge Ram Heavy Duty trucks feature best-in-class durability
• Two 4x4 transfer cases are available: traditional manual shift and electric shift-on-the-fly
• Hydroformed, fully boxed frame with advanced torsional rigidity and bending stiffness
• Upsized brake rotors, calipers and pads
• Superior towing capability at 16,850 lbs. and a payload of 5,180 lbs.
Best-in-class interior space and comfort
• Featuring superior capability and exceptional durability, Dodge Ram Mega Cab provides unsurpassed comfort and convenience – including the most spacious interior available in the full-size segment, with room for six adults
• Dodge Ram Mega Cab leads the full-size segment with numerous best-in-class features:
o Largest, longest cab – 143.2 cubic feet,111.1 inches long
o Largest interior cargo volume – 72.2 cubic feet
o Largest cargo volume behind rear seat – 7.7 cubic feet
o Largest flat-floor load area – 16.8 square feet
o Largest second-row leg room – 44.2 inches
o Largest rear-door opening – 34.5 inches wide, 35.5 inches high
o Largest rear-door open angle – 85 degrees
o First-ever reclining rear seats – 22- to 37-degree seat-back angle
• Optional bucket seats with available leather trim, best-in-class rear-seat leg room, rear-seat DVD (Quad Cab only), Infinity® sound system, uconnect phone, and power sliding rear window
Bold exterior design
• Fully chromed, ingot-like grille over a massive front bumper, creates a bold and protective statement
• Substantial grille remains a mainstay of the Dodge Ram design signature, with the large crosshair as the focal point, flanked by large angular headlamps
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 ST
• New 355-horsepower 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 engine (Ram 2500 only)
• 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel engine (Ram 3500 only)
• Five-speed automatic transmission
• Air conditioning
• AM/FM stereo with CD player and four speakers
• Four-wheel disc brakes with four-wheel ABS
• Part-time four-wheel-drive transfer case (on 4x4 models)
• 17-inch wheels and full-size spare tire
• 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel engine (Ram 2500)
• Six-speed automatic transmission (with 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel engine)
• Trailer tow mirrors
• Speed control
• 17-inch chrome-clad steel wheels
• Supplemental side-curtain air bags
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 SXT
In addition to standard features on the Dodge Ram ST, the Ram 2500 and 3500 SXT adds/replaces the following:
• Chromed front and rear bumpers
• Cloth seats and carpet
• Power windows, locks and mirrors
• Speed control
• Remote keyless entry
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 SLT
In addition to standard features on the Dodge Ram SXT, the Ram 2500 and 3500 SLT adds/replaces the following:
• Overhead console with mini-trip computer and compass (with 6.7-liter turbodiesel engine only)
• Speed control
• Power windows and door locks
• Keyless entry
• 17-inch chrome-clad steel wheels
In addition to optional features on the Dodge Ram SXT, the Ram 2500 and 3500 SLT adds/replaces the following:
• Power sun roof
• Power adjustable pedals
• Remote start (gas engine only)
• AM/FM stereo with six-disc CD changer
• Infinity® speaker system
• SIRIUS Satellite Radio
• uconnect phone with Bluetooth technology
• uconnect gps
• Rear-seat DVD entertainment system
• Bucket seats with leather upholstery
• Six-way power driver seat
• 17-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheels
• Stain Repel Seat Fabric
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 Laramie
In addition to standard features on the Dodge Ram SLT, the Ram 2500 and 3500 Laramie adds/replaces the following:
• Bodyside chrome molding
• Dual-zone climate control
• Steering-wheel-mounted audio controls
• Security alarm
• Sentry Key® engine immobilizer
2009 Dodge Ram Power Wagon
• New 355-horsepower 5.7-liter HEMI engine
• Electric-locking front and rear differentials
• Class-exclusive electronic disconnecting sway bar
• 32-inch BF Goodrich off-road tires
• Custom-built Warn® 12,000-lb. winch
• Trailer-tow mirrors
• Sun roof
• Power-adjustable pedals
• Leather-trimmed seats
• Rear-seat DVD entertainment system
• Supplemental side-curtain air bags
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 TRX4 Off-Road
• 17-inch aluminum wheels
• Unique off-road tires
• Limited-slip differential
• Transfer case skid plates
• Skid plates for the front and rear axles
• Unique red-painted shocks
• Tow hooks
• Fog lamps
• "TRX4 Off-Road" badging
SAFETY AND SECURITY
Please refer to the Safety and Security Glossary in the Safety and Technology section for descriptions of the following features:
• Anti-lock Brake System (ABS)
• Advanced Multi-stage Air Bags
• Brake/Park Interlock
• Child Protection Rear Door Locks
• Constant Force Retractors (CFR)
• Crumple Zones
• Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD)
• Energy-absorbing Steering Column
• Enhanced Accident Response System (EARS)
• Head Restraints
• Height-adjustable Seat Belts
• HomeLink Universal Home Security System Transceiver
• Interior Head-impact Protection
• Knee Bolsters
• Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH) Child Seat Anchor System
• Low-risk Deployment Front-passenger Air Bags
• Power-adjustable Pedals
• Remote Keyless Entry
• Seat Belt Pretensioners
• Security Alarm
• Sentry Key® Engine Immobilizer
• Supplemental Side-curtain Air Bags
• Three-point Shoulder Belts
• Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM)
• uconnect phone
• Stone White
• Brilliant Black
• Bright Silver Metallic
• Flame Red
• Inferno Red
• Light Khaki
• Mineral Gray Metallic
• Patriot Blue
• 2009 model year production start: July 2008
• Production location: Saltillo Truck Assembly Plant, Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico
• 5.7-liter HEMI engine: Saltillo Engine Plant, Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico
• 6.7-liter Cummins® Turbodiesel engine: Cummins Engine Plant, Columbus, Ind.
• Five-speed automatic transmission: Kokomo Transmission Plant, Kokomo, Ind.
• Six-speed automatic transmission: Kokomo Transmission Plant, Kokomo, Ind.
The 2009 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty leads the way in the heavy-duty segment with a pair of powerful and efficient engines: the 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel, which produces 650 lb.-ft. of torque (881 N•m) while meeting stringent 2010 federal emissions regulations, making it the cleanest diesel engine on the market; and the most powerful standard engine in the segment, the new 355-horsepower 5.7-liter HEMI® V-8, which offers fuel-saving Multi-displacement technology that offers up to 20 percent better fuel economy than comparable gas engines.
Dodge Ram Heavy Duty pickup trucks offer "big rig" power, styling and capability. With an uncompromising attitude that remains the standard for all other full-size heavy-duty pickups, Dodge Ram Heavy Duty delivers the performance and amenities that customers demand.
• Gender: 91 percent male
• Median Age: 52 years old
• Median Annual Household Income: $68,000
• Household: 82 percent married
• 650 lb.-ft. of best-in-class low-end torque from the 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel engine – the only heavy-duty pickup truck engine on the market to meet all 2010 federal emissions regulations
• Cummins 6.7-liter turbodiesel has life-to-major overhaul intervals of 350,000 miles, providing more than a 100,000-mile advantage over the competition; oil change intervals of 7,500 miles
• Best-in-class acceleration when equipped with the new 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 engine
• Best-in-class interior room with Quad Cab® and Mega Cab models
• Best-in-class off-road capability with Dodge Ram Power Wagon
• Superior towing capability of 16,400 lbs.
• Only heavy-duty pickup to offer adjustable pedals
• Market-exclusive electronic front and rear locking differentials and disconnecting sway bar on Ram Power Wagon