Click above for high-res image gallery of the 2010 Audi S5 cabriolet
The Audi A5 and its V8-powered S5 sibling are considered by many to be the most beautiful Audis ever created. For some time now it's been common knowledge that an open top variant of Audi's latest coupe was coming. We'll still have to wait until the Geneva Motor Show in March to see the A5 and S5 Cabriolets in the metal, but we now have details and photos of the pair. Fortunately, unlike so many other automakers, Audi has chosen to stick with a more traditional fabric top rather than an articulated metal contraption. The soft top is lighter than metal hard tops and Audi also keeps the bulk further under control with aluminum fenders. With the top folded, the trunk still has 11.3 cu-ft of usable space; try that with a retractable hard top. Europeans will get the usual array of gas and diesel engines in the drop top A5, but here in the U.S. we'll only be getting the 2.0L TFSI four-cylinder engine or the 3.2L FSI V6 that powers the A5 Coupe. The S5 is a different story. While the S5 coupe has a 4.2L V8 that it keeps until the end of the 2010 model year, the Cabriolet will immediately get the new supercharged 3.0L TFSI V6 that recently debuted in the new S4. The 333-hp V6 can be had with either the 6-speed manual or 7-speed S-Tronic dual clutch gearbox. The A5 and S5 Cabriolet go on sale here next fall, which is ironically just about when the open-air motoring season ends in many parts of the U.S.
Related Gallery2010 Audi A5 Cabriolet
Related Gallery2010 Audi S5 Cabriolet
New 2010 Audi A5 and S5 Cabriolet - Quick Reference: USA Data
Key Points Summary
• The A5 product line is now expanded to include Cabriolet models with three powerful and fuel-efficient powertrains (2.0 TFSI 4 cylinder, 3.2 FSI V6, 3.0 TFSI V6 with supercharged technology).
• A5 Cabriolet features ground-breaking soft top technology for elegant styling, superior room and storage space, and superb driving dynamics.
• Unique 50/50 split rear folding seats allows maximum storage flexibility • Audi Drive Select (adjustable engine/throttle mapping, suspension damping, and dynamic steering) is a benchmark in the segment and industry.
• New optional quattroSport rear differential enhances agility.
• USA market launch for A5/S5 Cabriolet is Fall 2009, as 2010 model year.
• A5/S5 Cabriolet replaces the A4/S4 Cabriolet.
• A5/S5 Cabriolet interior and exterior distinctive features include:
- New rear LED lighting
- Sport seats with unique interior color offerings
- Cloth convertible top features Audi Acoustic Roof technology for a quite interior.
• Typical Audi interior design is modern and sophisticated, with clear attention to
detail, including 1 liter bottle holders in each door.
• S5 Aluminum-optic exterior accents include front and rear diffuser blades, mirror
housings, and four exhaust pipes.
• Modular Longitudinal Chassis architecture is the foundation for a benchmark sport sedan.
- Extensive use of new ultra-high-strength steels increase rigidity of the
body while also reducing weight.
- Repositioned clutch / torque-converter allows more forward position of
- Better agility and turn in
- Better axle load distribution
- Shorter front overhang
- Longer wheelbase = more comfortable ride
- Repositioned steering rack, lower and closer to the wheel carriers lowers center of gravity and provides more direct steering control/feedback.
- Sporty proportions and muscular stance enhanced due to longer, wider, and lower dimensions.
- Reduced front overhang adds to visual sportiness.
Powertrain and Performance
• The following power train configurations are offered in USA:
• A5 Cabriolet 2.0 TFSI specifications
- FSI direct injection with turbocharging
- Audi Valvelift System
- 211 hp – 258 lb-ft torque
- quattro® all-wheel drive (standard with 40/60 rear biased torque split) or FrontTrak front-wheel drive
- Tiptronic 6 speed automatic transmission for quattro model or Multitronic continuously variable transmission for the FrontTrak model
- Top speed 130 mph
• A5 Cabriolet 3.2 FSI V6 specifications:
- FSI direct injection
- Audi Valvelift System
- 265 hp – 243 lb-ft torque
- quattro all-wheel drive with 40/60 rear torque bias
- Tiptronic 6 speed automatic transmission
- Top speed 130 mph
• S5 Cabriolet 3.0 TFSI supercharged V6 specifications:
- S5 Coupe manual and 6-speed Tiptronic 354 hp / 325 lb-ft V8 continue for another year through the end of model year 2010; 2011 S5 Coupe will have 3.0 TFSI supercharger with 333 hp / 325 lb-ft, and manual and 7-speed S tronic transmissions.
- FSI direct injection with intercooled supercharger
- 333hp – 325 lb-ft
- quattro® all-wheel drive with 40/60 rear torque bias
- S tronic 7 speed double-clutch automatic transmission
- Top speed 155 mph
• Latest generation of quattro® all-wheel drive is employed, with asymmetric rear-biased torque split (40% front / 60% rear under nominal conditions).
• S5 Cabriolet only: New available quattroSport rear differential dynamically varies
torque between the rear wheels.
• Fuel economy is significantly improved over A4 Cabriolet .
• Rear 50/50 split folding seats in A5/S5 Cabriolet (not available with competitors)
• Cloth convertible top for elegant styling, superior interior and storage space, and low weight penalty (for better driving dynamics)
• New head-level heating system with heated/cooled front seats
• MMI operating logic standard with central display screen
• Audi Drive Select – varies the engine, transmission, steering, and suspension damping characteristics to suit the driver's preferences
• Audi Intelligent Key – stores service information in the key
• Advanced Key keyless entry and starting
• Bluetooth hands-free telephone interface
• Bi-xenon headlamps with LED daytime running lights
• Audi Parking System rear with rearview camera
• Electromechanical parking brake
• Hard-drive-based Navigation system with Audi third-generation MMI.
• Audi Side Assist lane change assistant
• Bang & Olufsen 505W sound system
Launch Timing and Pricing
• World auto show debut is Geneva auto show in March, 2009
• USA A5/S5 Cabriolet with all mentioned engine/transmission combinations goes on sale in Fall 2009 (as a 2010 model year vehicles).
• U.S. pricing to be announced later.