General Motors' ongoing financial problems mean that the company Gulfstream won't be shuttling executives to the LA Auto Show next week. After canceling plans to unveil the new Buick LaCrosse and the production version of the Cadillac CTS coupe, it became clear that there really wasn't anything else to discuss in LA. As a result, there won't be a GM press conference at the show.
GM spokesman Scott Fosgard told the Detroit News that with all the bad financial news and discussions about a bailout, any product news would simply get lost in the shuffle. Instead, GM will still show the Saab 9-X Air concept from the Paris Motor Show along with the production version of the Chevy Volt.
Now, two questions remain: 1) Will GM last long enough to make it to the Detroit Auto Show in January, and 2) Why are they spending cash on a driving "experience" at the Alabama "International" Auto Show?
[Source: Detroit News]
Public Invited to Put Pedal to the Metal Behind the Wheel of GM Vehicles at the Alabama International Auto Show November 14 -16
-- Consumers Invited To Test Drive Escalade Hybrid, Chevy Traverse and other '09 GM Vehicles --
BIRMINGHAM, AL – Consumers attending the Alabama International Auto Show Friday, November 14 -Sunday, November 16 will have a unique opportunity to truly 'experience' the GM display by getting behind the wheel and test driving many of General Motors' new, fuel-efficient vehicles.
Vehicles available for test drives that illustrate the breadth of General Motors' 2009 product portfolio include:
* The new Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, award-winning CTS, spacious Cadillac SRX crossover, and the Cadillac DTS full-size sedan
* GMC's professional grade Yukon Hybrid and Sierra 1500 extended cab
* The iconic and powerful HUMMER H3T Alpha
* The sleek Buick Enclave CXL
* The sporty Pontiac G6, high performance G8 GT and the Pontiac Vibe GT
* The dramatically restyled Saab 9-3 Aero convertible
* The Saturn Aura mid-size sports sedan, the popular Saturn Vue SUV and the Saturn Astra
* The all-new Chevy Traverse, completely redesigned Malibu Hybrid, award-winning & best-selling Chevy Silverado, full-size SUV Chevy Tahoe, Chevy Avalanche, Chevy Colorado LT, popular Chevy HHR truck, Aveo 5, and the youthful and sporty Chevy Cobalt LT
The "GM Experience" Ride & Drive will be held Friday, November 14 from 10 am – 7 pm, Saturday, November 15 from 10 am – 7 pm and Sunday, November 16 from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm. Registration will be located at the entrance of the Birmingham Jefferson Convention Complex adjacent to the main ticket window (off Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. North, directly across the street from the Sheraton) and inside the show and inside the show at the GM auto show display on the show floor.
To participate, drivers must be at least 21 years of age and present a valid driver's license. Children may ride along as passengers if seating is available. No sales people will be on-site at the "GM Experience" Ride & Drive, however product specialists will be on hand to answer any consumer questions. Test drive participants will also receive a car care kit upon the completion of the drive.