• Aug 21, 2008
After over a year of being shuttered, Ford's abandoned plant in Wixom, Michigan could get a new lease on life in the form of a movie studio. Rumor has it that Warner Brothers Pictures is considering taking up residence in the ex-auto plant for a short period, though Ford may want something a bit more long-term. The production company has confirmed that it toured the plant for the first time about four months ago with officials from Ford present. When contacted for comment, a Ford spokesperson said only that the automaker would prefer to do something worthwhile with its old plant, but had no announcements to make.
Measuring in at over four-million square-feet, the old building has plenty of room and Warner Bros. would build a "small city" around the space, hiring between sixty and one-hundred permanent employees plus many part-timers and contract workers -- certainly a boon for the city's lagging economy -- not to mention starting the careers of a whole new generation of paparazzi.

[Source: The Detroit News]


I'm reporting this comment as:

Reported comments and users are reviewed by Autoblog staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week to determine whether they violate Community Guideline. Accounts are penalized for Community Guidelines violations and serious or repeated violations can lead to account termination.


    • 1 Second Ago
  • 6 Comments
      • 6 Years Ago
      Great, another rape of a movie from yesteryear.

      If they remake Robocop, Detriot Police better get Euro Spec Ford Focus ST's.
      • 6 Years Ago
      This could be great for MI, more importantly, it could be great for the advertising and PR industry here in MI.

      • 6 Years Ago
      Sorry about going off topic a bit. Sometimes things need to be explained...
      • 6 Years Ago
      This is in response to all those who bemoan or don't understand the filming incentives:
      Michigan offers: 40% tax credit for all Michigan RESIDENTS and MI based companies that a production hires for the production of a movie, TV movie or TV series. The productions still pay taxes: hotel taxes, rental car taxes, airport fees, sales taxes. MI offers an "infrastructure" (read: sound stages, production facilities, support rentals - trucks, props, equipment, etc) credit of 25%. The taxpayer still has to pay the other 75%. Also, in order to receive the credit, you have to be an MI taxpayer (of course, that won't prevent people from doing what they do in Louisiana and broker credits for pennies on the dollar.)
      These film incentives work. That's why states pass them. The money that is spent and not rebated or credited outweighs the state's incentive.
      Example: I am in the suburbs of Detroit prepping a TV series pilot (1st episode) right now. I do not live in MI. The production company will receive a 30% tax credit for my pay, their travel expenses to get me here, my rental car, hotel, etc. My being here - and the hundreds of others on the three other projects in the area - creates a ripple: the hotel collects taxes on my room, Enterprise collects taxes on my rental car. Both the hotel and Enterprise are making money they would not have made if I were not here. They have increased business. They hire more employees. They buy more materials (bars of soap for the hotel, cars for Enterprise.) The employees spend their income. The companies that service the hotel and Enterprise receive more money due to increased demand. So on and so on. Then there's security guards and off-duty police officers hired during production. Permit fees, I didn't even mention the fact that I have to eat while I'm here, entertain myself while I'm here. Buy gas for my car, etc, etc.
      Turning what could become blight into something useful, even for a short time, is better than a building sitting empty and degrading.
      It's a good thing.
      Plus, I get to see all the camo'd cars with manufacturers plates driving around like it's nothing. It is one thing to see the pictures in Autoblog, it's another to drive into a County park parking lot and see two lightly camo'd Hyundai sedans pulling out. Or a Mercedes SUV with a triangle shaped bulge on the hood.
      • 6 Years Ago
      FYI - This is 100% because the state of michigan is offering millions in tax rebates to bring film projects into the state.
        • 6 Years Ago
        Yes, this will employee people... but Ford used to help Wixom's TAX base, If WB is moving in tax-free... how does that really help MI?

        Its a catch 22, MI needs non auto jobs, but MI roads are a joke! Guess a good WB Studio paycheck can help fix car damage & CA movie execs can drive their SUVs around S/E Michigan??