Extra premium of $5,000 applied to some hard-to-find hybrid SUVs
Even at $3.50 a gallon, eleven grand buys a lot of gas (just over 3,142 gallons, to be exact). Let's say you get 22 mpg with the standard escape (seems like a fair number to me). You'll be able to drive almost 70,000 miles before you see can even start chipping away at the hybrid premium difference. If you're looking for other large hybrids, the news isn't much better. Shogren found that the Saturn Vue is basically unavailable outside of California and there are only 1,500 hybrid Tahoes available across the U.S. right now. Test drives are available, but if you're interested in more than that, good luck.
[Source: Elizabeth Shogren / NPR]
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies