Essen 2007: Volkswagen unveils Golf Variant RaVe 270
Click image for photo gallery
What happens when you take a Jetta Wagon, give it GTI-topping power, a stereo to wake the dead, and 4Motion all-wheel drive? You get the Golf Variant RaVe 270 concept that VW's showing off in Essen. The car's name is derived from its hopped-up GTI engine's 270 horsepower and the techno beats being emitted from its 13-speaker 1400-watt audio system. (Get it? Techno...Rave. Yeah, we rolled our eyes, too.) A full body kit including an aggressive new front fascia lends the RaVe some visual presence to go along with its extra ponies, with 19" five-spokes and a pair of double-barreled exhaust tips finishing off the lowered wagon's visual upgrades.
Strip out the ridiculous audio/video system and you've got something that seems pretty doable from a production standpoint. An AWD sportwagon with more power than an R32 and better fuel economy to boot (9.1l/100km or 25.8 mpg) is an attractive proposition, indeed. We're sure VW's paying close attention to the reaction the RaVe's getting from show attendees.
To the Point: 2007 Essen Motor Show
Two world premieres in the Ruhr region: RaVe 270 and Tiguan R-Line
Concept Car: Golf Variant RaVe 270 with 1,400 Watt sound system and 270 PS
Exclusive features: Tiguan debuts with the sporty R-Line program
Strong diesel: Touareg R50 debuts with 350 PS strong V10 TDI
* Wolfsburg / Essen, 30 November 2007. At the 2007 Essen Motor Show, three more new products will appear together under the spotlights. Two of them are world premieres, and the third is a European debut. World premiere 1: the RaVe 270 concept car – the most powerful Golf Variant of all times. 198 kW / 270 PS and 250 km/h are its key performance indicators. Its technical features include full-time all-wheel drive and a 1,400 Watt sound system of the prestige class. The sound package is controlled via a new hard-drive navigation system from Volkswagen – so far a unique combination. World premiere 2: the Tiguan with exclusive R-Line equipment packages – the latest German SUV is already being customized. 3: In a European premiere, Volkswagen is also showing the Touareg R50 – which at 258 kW / 350 PS is one of the most powerful diesel SUVs in the country.
World premiere 1: Golf Variant RaVe 270
* The Golf Variant RaVe 270 is a concept car. It makes it unmistakably clear how much potential lies in the Golf Variant, both in its design and basic technology. RaVe 270 stands for 270 PS, for a completely modified design in race car style, a very sporty interior and techno music from a powerful 1,400 Watt high-end sound system.
* The basis for this unique system is the new RNS 510 radio-navigation system. A total of 13 loudspeakers are supplied via three powerful output amplifiers. A strong 880 Watt subwoofer and two other 250 Watt subwoofers in chrome are responsible for the distinctly "palpable" sound. The 880 Watt subwoofer – just like the output amplifiers – is located so that it is visible on the cargo floor. Also integrated in the rear were two 12-inch monitors, so that the music of the best bands could not only be heard but seen too.
* The Golf Variant RaVe 270 was developed and built by Volkswagen Individual GmbH. The idea behind this car: to transfer GTI and R32 feeling to a Golf Variant for the first time. So the RaVe 270 was made faster by a performance-enhanced version of the Golf GTI engine and the 4Motion all-wheel drive of the Golf R32. Forces between the engine and all-wheel drive are distributed by the DSG dual clutch transmission.
* After just 5.8 seconds, the Golf Variant RaVe 270 is already moving at 100 km/h. Not until 250 km/h is reached do the electronics stop further acceleration. Despite its awesome driving performance, average fuel consumption of the Golf Variant RaVe 270 is just 9.1 liters of Super gasoline (95 ROZ) per 100 kilometers.
* Volkswagen developed a new design line for all add-on body parts. The bumpers, radiator grille, side skirts, taillights, headlamps, and even the mirrors – everything was modified. Take the front end, for example: the classic Golf radiator grille is used here. Directly below it is a completely modified bumper with three large air inlets, like those typically used in car racing. The xenon headlamps of the RaVe 270 got a new look by extending the engine hood and fenders and adding new special caps. Integrated here: daylight running lamps in LED technology. At the rear end, there are two twin-fluted tailpipes on the left and right. Between them is a diffuser that provides for additional traction. In its side profile, details like the 19 inch alloy wheels of the "Zaragoza" type give the concept car a distinctive character in combination with the sport chassis that was lowered by 20 millimeters.
* Among other features, the upgraded interior is characterized by leather sport bucket seats with R-Logo and painted door handle recesses.
World premiere 2: Tiguan R-Line
* Just three weeks after market introduction of the Tiguan, Volkswagen is presenting the sporty R-Line equipment packages for the new SUV at the Essen Motor Show. They consist of an interior package and an exterior package. Since R-Line equipment takes a dynamic approach, it is exclusively available on the Sport & Style version of the Tiguan.
* A key visual feature of the new Tiguan R-Line: the "Omanyt" type alloy wheels. The 19 inch wheels are equipped with size 255/40 R19 tires. Moreover, the Tiguan R-Line is easy to recognize by a whole series of specific body modifications. Volkswagen design developed all body parts in parallel to overall vehicle development, and so it was possible to work them into the style on the new SUV in an especially homogeneous way.
* Interior upgrades of the Tiguan "Plus" R-Line package include sport seats (front) with R-Line logo embossed in the headrests and "Monte Carlo" fabric design, multifunctional leather steering wheel, also with R-Line logo, and aluminum pedal caps. Leather sport seats are also offered as an option.
European premiere: Touareg R50
* In a European premiere, Volkswagen is presenting the Touareg R50 at the Essen Motor Show. Its power output of 258 kW / 350 PS (at 3,500 rpm) makes the new Touareg one of the most powerful SUVs in the world. In Germany, the Touareg R50 is being offered at prices starting at 88,260 euros.
* At a low 2,000 rpm the V10 TDI of the Touareg R50 develops an enormous power of 850 Newton-meters. In just 6.7 seconds it accelerates the SUV to 100 km/h (production car: 7.4 seconds); its top speed is 235 km/h. Despite the extra 37 PS in power compared to the "normal" version, DIN fuel consumption values are unchanged (9.6 liters per 100 kilometers highway, 12.6 liters overall).
* From the outside, the new Touareg R50 is easy to recognize by its 21 inch Omanyt type alloy wheels with size 295 tires, blue painted brake calipers, wheel well extensions, side skirts, distinctive bumpers and a modified radiator grille (chrome in matte finish).
* The extensive standard features include an air suspension sport chassis. The so-called "driving dynamics package with adaptive roll compensation" and chassis lowered by twenty millimeters give the "Sport" mode of the manually or automatically controlled air suspension a stiffer spring rate.
* Inside the SUV offers a sport seating system in Anthracite-colored nappa leather with R50 logo integrated in the front headrests. The logo was also worked into the stainless steel tread plates of the driver and front passenger doors. Reflecting the sporty character of the Touareg are the interior accents in "Aluminum Engine Spin Bright" pattern as well as R-design pedal caps detailed in stainless steel for accelerator and brake pedals.
- Volvo shoots for self-drivers by 2021
- Jeep spends $1 billion on factories
- Find Parts & Accessories for your vehicle!
- Obama rolls out new EV plan
- Infiniti dealers ranked best, Tesla worst
- Compare Volvo XC90 and Lincoln MKX
From Our Partners
Recharge Wrap-up: Autopilot mitigates accident in video, Ford exits India's EV consortiumWatch Video