We'll meet the Pontiac Solstice SD-290 in person on the show floor later today, but just had to share more info on this very unique vehicle the moment we were allowed to. The single-seat racer is meant to evoke competition cars of old, and we bet its significantly faster than a stock Solstice GXP thanks to all of those pounds shed by losing the windshield, side glass, convertible top and climate system. In place of those items is a tonneau cover over the passenger seat and windscreen for the driver only. New fender vents have also been added, and the hood is all new, too. The familiar 2.0L direct-inject turbo pumps out 290 HP in the SD-290 thanks to some performance mods, and the car rides on the Solstice's available Club Sport Z0K suspension package. As if racing weren't already the obvious activity for which one would use this Solstice, a set of 19-inch forged wheels wrapped in Hooser R6 racing rubber remove any illusion that this car could be used as a daily driver.
Check out the complete list of mods after the jump.
PONTIAC SOLSTICE SD-290 RACE CONCEPT
Designed to evoke the emotions of classic sports cars, the Pontiac Solstice SD-290 race concept captures the purposeful design of vintage racecars. The design is dramatic, featuring a passenger cockpit tonneau cover and a driver windscreen, creating a pure racecar that looks ready to take the checkered flag even while sitting on the starting grid.
Aerodynamics have been improved and the SD-290's weight reduced with the removal of the windshield, side glass, window regulator, convertible top, climate system and windshield wiper system. Complementing the design are new side fender gill panels, a new hood with heat extracting grilles and a competition red paint scheme.
Backing up the race-ready appearance is the available Club Sport Z0K suspension package and an all-business cockpit filled with auxiliary gauges, a roll bar and racing seat.
- Pontiac Solstice SD-290 race concept
- 2.0L Ecotec direct-injected and turbocharged generating 290 horsepower
- Five-speed manual transmission
- Weight reduction through installation of driver-side only windscreen and elimination of door glass/hardware, convertible top/hardware, HVAC system and wiper system
- Solo Performance cat-back exhaust system with center-mounted outlet
- KW Automotive coil-over suspension package
- Three-piston aluminum calipers with 13-inch rotors from Stainless Steel Brake Company
- Forged 19-inch wheels with Hoosier R6 racing tires
- New front fascia, grille inserts, hood and front fenders, leading to better aerodynamics
- Passenger-side hard tonneau cover
- Competition red exterior color
- Rear spoiler
- Tinted headlamp lenses
- Removable racing-style steering wheel
- Racing seat with four-point safety harness
- Chrome fire extinguisher
- Pegasus center console gauge package
- Driver's roll bar