SEMA 2007: FJ Cruiser Convertible
Although we've already seen what happens when an FJ Cruiser loses its top, Toyota has finally decided to perform proper surgery on its Wrangler-fighter to create a canvas convertible FJ. Although we weren't able to see how well constructed the top was inside the FJ Convertible, from the outside it looks like a pretty substantial piece of kit. According to Toyota, the construction is lightweight, inexpensive and easy to operate. No hydraulics or electronics are used, so cargo space isn't adversely affected.
Being a SEMA vehicle, it had to go through the aftermarket ringer before taking its rightful place on stage, so aside from the new cabrio setup, the FJ comes equipped with KMC 17-inch Endouro wheels wrapped in 35x12.5R17 Nitto Mud Grappler tires, ARB suspension components, a TRD off road exhaust and a Bestop Off Road Camera System.
Toyota maintains that the simple design of the FJ Cruiser convertible makes it a viable production vehicle. When we'll see it is a mystery, but if they added a removable hardtop to the options list, this FJ could be another player in the niche within a niche segment.
Toyota's full press release is posted after the jump.
click to enlarge
FJ Cruiser Convertible
Open-air off-roading has been part of Land Cruiser heritage for the past 50 years. The FJ Cruiser Convertible project is a modern tribute to that tradition. At the core of this project is an easy to operate manual top that is affordable and light weight.
With the top up, the FJ Cruiser maintains its distinctive silhouette. In the down position with the side windows removed, the cargo space is maintained without all the hydraulics of an automatic convertible top. The project team was challenged to keep the design simple and credible as a realistic production vehicle versus the other more outrageous show car projects.
Bestop Inc. performed the soft top conversion
FJ CRUISER CONVERTIBLE SPECIFICATIONS
• KMC 17-inch Endouro Desert Beadlock Wheels and Nitto 35x12.50R17 Mud Grappler Tires
• ARB Old Man Emu Suspension, ARB Front and Rear Bumpers
• IPF 900XS High Intensity Discharge Auxiliary Driving Lights
• Eclipse AVN-2210 with detachable Tom Tom Personal Navigation
• JBL GTO755.6 560 watt 6-channel amp
• Front and rear bumper mounted Warn winches
• TRD Off Road Exhaust System
• Toyota Genuine Rock Rails
• Bestop Off Road Camera System
• PowerTank Comp Series CO2 System
- Biggest automotive sales disappointments
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Find and compare 2017 Models