Video: Ford introduces capless Direct Fill System on 2008 Explorer
For 2008 Ford is introducing a new capless fuel filling system dubbed Direct Fill System (DFS) on the Explorer and Mariner SUVs. At some point we've all been in a rush and driven away from a gas station having forgotten to screw the gas cap back on. People with arthritic hands also often have a difficult time screwing and unscrewing gas caps securely.
While this is certainly an annoyance especially when the cap is left hanging and banging against the paint on the side of your car, it also leads to evaporation loss of your fuel. The DFS system automatically seals the filler neck when you remove the nozzle and swivels out of the way when you insert it greatly reducing evaporative emissions during fueling. The DFS system will be rolled out to all Ford Motor Company vehicles over the next couple of years. There's a short demonstration video after the jump.
- Acura scores lowest in customer satisfaction
- The BMW M4 is spied with a massive wing
- Find the right minivan with our Car Finder tool
- Hybrids make poor financial sense for buyers
- The Grand Tour's legal fracas with Top Gear
- Ride along with us in the new AutoblogVR app!