Fiat prepping Grande Punto Brutale based on Super 2000 rally car
Click image for a gallery of the Fiat Grande Punto Super 2000 car
We like Super 2000 rally cars, as they demonstrate just how much you can do with a normally-aspirated 2.0L engine. Fiat's Grand Punto Rally is built to S2K specs and it certainly delivers the goods: 270 horsepower at 8,250 rpm, to be exact.
Now comes word from Britain's 4Car that the Italian automaker is readying a limited-run (250 units) special road car based on the Super 2000 called the Grand Punto Brutale, in what's said to be a nod to the Lancia Delta Integrale (shown at right).
"Based on" is an apt description, because 4Car reports that the Brutale will be turbocharged, which is a no-no in Super 2000. We're guessing the real similarity will be in the looks department, as the Brutale will apparently get the S2K car's bodywork and a stripped-down, racy interior. It'll also have AWD, just like the rally car. Sounds cool. Too bad we'll never see it here.
Follow the jump for a vid of the Grand Punto Super 2000 car in action, as well as a breakdown of the racer's tech specs.
TECHNICAL DATA SHEET
FIAT GRANDE PUNTO (SUPER 2000)
- 4 cylinders in line, 1997 cm3, fitted transversally
- Power output: approx. 270 bhp at 8250 rpm with 64 dia. flange (as per regulation);
- Maximum torque: 22.5 kgm at 6500 rpm;
- Sequential 6-speed gearbox with frontal engagement and cut-off during shifts, single casing and internal components from one supplier as per regulations
- Mechanical front, central and rear differentials with ramps and clutches to modify lock percentages
- Rear differential from one supplier with multiplate clutch to limit torque
- Special half-axles, car-side tripod joints and wheel-side constant velocity joints
- Special two-branch steel propeller shaft with intermediate mounting on chassis
- MacPherson configuration at front
- MacPherson configuration at rear
- Special front beam
- Special rear beam
- Adjustable shock absorbers
- Front calliper with 4 one-piece pistons
- 355 dia. front brake disc for asphalt, 300 mm dia. for earth
- Rear calliper with 4 pistons
- 300 mm dia. rear brake disc
- Front and rear wings widened to a maximum width of 1800 mm
- Rear fin fitted, with dimensions limited by technical regulations, to increase car stability with increasing aerodynamic load;
- Toora asphalt rim: 8'' x 18''
- Toora earth rim: 6.5" x 15 "
- Michelin asphalt tyres: 20/65-18
- Michelin earth tyres: 19/65-15
- Michelin snow tyres: 10/65-16
- Most and least efficient car companies
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Find and compare 2017 Models