Audi R8 TDI could be coming in 2009
A diesel powered version of the R8 may hit the street as soon as 2009, according to Car and Driver. Although the R10 inspired 5.9L V-12 that was shown in the Q7 V-12 at the Detroit Auto Show might seem the obvious choice, it may well be too large and to heavy for the R8 engine bay. The 4.2L V-8 TDI available now in the European Q7 gives up some power but gains 77 percent in torque compared to the gas engine currently used in the R8 and could increase fuel economy by over twenty percent. Whether or not the R8 TDI ever makes it US shores will probably depend on fuel prices and how well the other new Audi diesels are received over the next two years.
[Source: Car and Driver]
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies