Chrysler to sponsor Orphan Car Show, featured marque next year?
This year's show and pre-show events are being sponsored by the Walter P. Chrysler Museum. On Saturday June 2nd, there will be tour that takes participants from the Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum to the Muerer Collection in Farmington Hills, on to Moe's on Ten in Novi, the Matthei Botanical Gardens in Ann Arbor and back to Ypsi for an evening reception at the museum. On Sunday June 3rd, all the cars will gather and park, and this year's featured marque is Checker Cab. The big question has to be will the Chrysler Museum sponsorship be a prelude to the automaker being the featured brand next year? We'll bring you live coverage from the park regardless in a few weeks.
[Source: Chrylser] Walter P. Chrysler Museum to Sponsor Annual Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show Events, June 2 - 3
Auburn Hills, Mich., May 8, 2007 -
Welcome Michigan's summer cruising season with the Pre-Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show Excursion, 9:30 a.m. – 8 p.m. Saturday, June 2, sponsored by the Walter P. Chrysler Museum.
The morning into evening event features a scenic four-stop daytime tour followed by a nighttime reception. The excursion is open to auto enthusiasts with vehicles of all makes and models.
The Pre-Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show Excursion travels to:
9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
• Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum – Start the day with continental breakfast at the world's last Hudson dealership. Step back in time with dozens of vehicles and original Hudson memorabilia dating back to 1927.
• The Muerer Collection, Farmington Hills – Explore the private collection Ed Muerer maintains in a 20,000+ square foot building tucked within a suburban commercial complex. Stroll among 85 vintage vehicles including Muerer's oldest, a 1924 Nash Roadster, and his most unique, a 1935 Packard Convertible Sedan Limousine. Hum to the upbeat tunes of a player piano while enjoying the mobile homes, gas pumps, dealership and neon signs, posters and photos that round out the collection. Visit the second floor where Muerer has assembled an eclectic mix of antiques and collectibles.
• Moe's on Ten, Novi – Settle in for a midday repast at this popular dining spot. Enjoy good food and good conversation over your choice of entrée salad, sandwich or burger.
• Matthaei Botanical Gardens, Ann Arbor – Opt for a short jaunt or ambitious hike through this 300 acre site, a gift to the University of Michigan by Fred Matthaei Sr. and Mildred Hague Matthaei. Take in the breathtaking displays of the outdoor gardens and the varied greenery of the indoor Conservatory, featuring foliage from tropical rainforests, Mediterranean-type climates and deserts. If you're feeling energetic, tackle the miles of nature trails.
4:30 – 6 p.m.
Enjoy free time exploring Ypsilanti's quaint Depot Town district or tour the Michigan showroom of RM Auctions. The Ontario, Canada-based vehicle auction and restoration firm maintains more than 100 of the world's finest motor cars at any given point – one of the most comprehensive and complete classic car inventories in the business.
6 – 8 p.m.
• Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum – Return to the museum for a hearty hors d'oeuvre reception and The Chapin Cars I Remember Well, a presentation by Bill Chapin recalling 70 years of automotive history and family anecdotes featuring his grandfather, Roy D. Chapin (a founder of Hudson Motor Car Co.) and his father, Roy D. Chapin, Jr. (Chairman of AMC).
Convenient parking is available at all stops and a suggested route of paved roads between destinations will be provided. Tour participants will travel in a scenic caravan.
Cost for the Pre-Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show Excursion, payable at registration by May 25, is $47 per person for the full day event, $35 per person for the daytime tour only and $35 for the evening reception only.
To register via phone (734-482-5200) or e-mail (email@example.com), provide:
• Driver's name, street and e-mail addresses, telephone number and make and model of vehicle.
• MasterCard or VISA number, account owner's name and expiration date.
Registration by check, made payable to the Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show, is accepted at Pre-Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show Excursion, 100 E. Cross St., Ypsilanti, MI 48198.
Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show – June 3
The Saturday driving excursion precedes the 11th annual Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show Sunday, June 3 in the city's Depot Town Riverside Park. The show, this year featuring Checker Cab – is sponsored by the Walter P. Chrysler Museum. To register a vehicle and for additional show details visit www.ypsiautoheritage.org or call 734-482-5200.
For more on the three-story, 55,000 square foot Walter P. Chrysler Museum, located on the DaimlerChrysler complex in Auburn Hills, Mich., visit www.chryslerheritage.com or call 888-456-1924.
The Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum is located at 100 E. Cross St (at River St.) in Ypsilanti. From I-94, take exit 183 (Huron St.) north to Cross St.
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies
From Our Partners
Here's all the footage of Ken Block's Top Gear Gymkhana segment that didn't make the showWatch Video