Porsche Cayenne S Transsyberia: factory-built rally machine
Last year, a pair of series-built Porsche Cayennes that were further modified by the customers who purchased them drove to victory in the 10,000km-long Transsyberia Rally. Spurred on by the success shown by those two cars, Porsche has built a small production run of at least twenty-six 2007 Cayenne S Transsyberia SUVs, all of which will compete in the 2007 rally. The full range of Porsche's techno-enhancements are in place, including Porsche Traction Management (PTM), Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDDC), and Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM). The PTM system is further enhanced by a transverse lock from the optional Offroad Technology Package available to regular customers, and the PDCC system is already set up with a Special Offroad Mode, which, when active, lets the Cayenne ford bodies of water up to 30" deep. A roof-mounted snorkel keeps that water from invading the intake manifold.
Thanks to Tom L. for the tip!
The 4.8L V8 makes 385 horsepower and is connected to a six-speed Tiptronic S with a 4.11 final drive ratio. Rally car-specific modifications include:
- Reinforced A and B pillars
- Bolted-in safety cage
- Stronger underbody protection
- Installation of a handbrake in lieu of the standard, foot-operated parking brake
- Rerouted electrical system
- Passenger-operated navigation computer
- Lightweight sport exhaust
- Offroad tires
- Roof lights
- Front-mounted winch
- Stripped interior, with dual spare wheels & tires and two reserve fuel cannisters in place of the rear seat
The 2007 Transsyberia Rally runs from August 2 - 17. The route starts in Moscow, crosses Siberia, and ends in Ulaanbataar, Mongolia, covering over 6,600 kilometers along the way. Full info on the rally and the special Cayenne S Transsyberia can be found at the dedicated minisite Porsche has set up.
- Great used cars for less than $10,000
- Owners say these cars aren't very good deals
- New Car Buying Guides
- Cheapest new automobiles in America
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Find and compare 2017 Models