No BMW hybrids unless they can beat diesels
A BMW engineer told AutoCar that diesels are still more efficient in most real world conditions. The hybrids do well in low speed stop-start conditions, but otherwise can't beat a diesel. At the Detroit Auto Show in January Daniel Kammerer told ABG that BMW wouldn't introduce the hybrids until about 2010-11. Since then BMW has introduced a start-stop system on the 1-Series and announced a mild-hybrid system with DCX. It seems like for the near term, BMW will focus on the simpler lower cost aspects of hybrids in combination with their gas and diesel engines.
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies
From Our Partners
Here's all the footage of Ken Block's Top Gear Gymkhana segment that didn't make the showWatch Video