Manitoba Hydro to test effects of plug-in hybrids on the power grid
The utility will be collecting data on the car in normal use. They are looking for data on how much power is used by the vehicle in operation and also the charging current. All of this data will help the company plan what their future infrastructure needs will be. Large scale adoption of plug-in vehicles in the future could put a lot of extra strain on the power grid so the infrastructure needs to be beefed up to accommodate it. Manitoba Hydro has been doing a lot research into alternative fuels like biodiesel in addition to the current work on the plug in hybrid.
[Source: Manitoba Hydro via GreenCarCongress]
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies