- Aug 10, 2006
BREAKING! It's really official now - GM's Wagoner confirms Camaro production
Autoblog's Erin Mays is on-site at the auto industry's annual Management Briefing Seminars this week, and she reports that General Motors CEO Rick Wagoner announced Thursday, "As evidence that we're not completely brain-dead, GM will build the Chevy Camaro." A fully brain-functional Wagoner posed with a red version of the concept car for the obligatory photo-op (above).
Production of the Camaro will begin in late 2008, and the much-anticipated car will hit showrooms in early 2009, presumably after a massive debut at the '09 Detroit Auto Show.
Not much new, but here are the highlights:
- RWD with independent rear suspension
- V6 and V8 versions, manual and automatic transmissions
- styling will closely resemble the concept car
- asked about a droptop Camaro, Wagoner would only say, "It will come in many shapes and sizes."
- no comment on a possible Pontiac Firebird version