With our transmission project on hold while we await the arrival of some parts, it was finally time to open up the large and heavy (81 pounds!) box of Kore3 brake parts that showed up on our doorstep about a month ago. We covered the selection process in Part I, and now it's time to dive in and see exactly what we received.

We wrestled the box from our front porch and out to the pole barn with the aid of a two-wheel cart. Consider this a public apology to our local UPS driver.

Breaking out the trusty disposable knife (the one that always breaks on us while we're forcing a cut, and slices up our knuckles), we make the first cut while trembling with anticipation. OK, there wasn't much trembling - we reserve that for engine parts.

A nice set of braided stainless-steel brake lines and some miscellaneous mounting clips were the first parts that we stumbled upon.

Next was a caliper abutment bracket. The function of this part is to mount the caliper to the spindle, while providing a means for the single-acting caliper to slide upon its guide pins. This is an OEM GM part, so finding replacements in the future should be easy if the need arises.

Here, we've got a bag of caliper slider pin hardware. It's excusable if you don't find this exciting.

Ah, now we're on to the good stuff. Here's the custom-machined hub that forms the heart of the kit. This part contains the bearing races and provides the correct 5x5" lug pattern and center registration feature to properly locate the rotor and OEM wheel.

Another gratuitous shot of brake part pornography.

It's a nice part when viewed from any angle.

Here's some more "boring" stuff - a set of wheel bearings, grease caps, and a set of spindle nut hardware. It doesn't look exciting, but it does hopefully do a decent job of keeping the front wheels attached to the vehicle.

Ah, here's some more pretty stuff. We went with the red powdercoated Z06 calipers instead of the standard black coated parts, just for a bit of visual impact.

The "cooling fins", shown here, aren't as much about cooling as they are about adding strength and rigidity to the two-piston aluminum caliper.

This is a OEM Corvette ceramic brake pad. They're rumored to be good enough for John Heinricy's autocrossing exploits, so they'll probably more than OK for us.

These caliper adapter brackets, which will allow the mounting of the abutment bracket to the OEM spindles after a bit of modification to the latter part.

Seeing as how this is laser-cut from 5/8" steel, it's hard to question the robustness of this part.

More hardware; in this case, it's the 1/2" bolts that are required to mount the adapter brackets to the spindle.

And finally, we arrive at the real reason for this conversion - the beefy 13x1.25" Corvette rotor. This is the largest rotor that will fit under the stock Impala SS wheels when using the Corvette calipers. This particular part has been modified by Kore3 to add the 5x5" holes for the stock lug pattern, and to open up the center hole to allow it to mate with the hub.

The difference in size between the Corvette rotor and a stock 12x1" rotor is shown here (sharp-eyed readers may note that we're actually showing a stock rear rotor here, but it's basically the same dimensions as the stock front rotors).

The additional diameter is welcome, but what's potentially more important is the additional quarter-inch of rotor thickness. Hopefully this allows for the improved heat dissipation that this car requires when pushed hard around a road course.

Oh, yea, there are some detailed instructions as well. Presumably, those will be important at some later point. We took a quick skim through them and it appears that they're packed with plenty of detail. The real test will be during the installation process, of course.

We also picked up a new set of spindles from the local GM dealer for a cost of about $140 for the pair. We're showing here the mounting features for the stock brake caliper; these will be removed to allow the installation of the new adapter bracket. It'll mount to the nearby holes for the OEM brake shield, after those holes are opened up and tapped to accept the 1/2-13 mounting bolts.

That's all for now. Once we finish up the transmission project in another couple of weeks, we'll finally get around to installing these beautiful parts.


I'm reporting this comment as:

Reported comments and users are reviewed by Autoblog staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week to determine whether they violate Community Guideline. Accounts are penalized for Community Guidelines violations and serious or repeated violations can lead to account termination.


    • 1 Second Ago
  • Share This Photo X