Porsche gets OK to increase stake in VW
The increase would give Porsche a "blocking minority" stake in VW, protecting VW from a hostile takeover bid, and ensuring stability at Porsche's major supplier. VW provides components for nearly a third of Porsche vehicles, including the upcoming Panamera.
The Porsche move is a pre-emptive strike. Previously, VW had been protected from takeover bids by the German "VW Law," which prevents any shareholder from exercising more than 20 percent of their voting rights, regardless of their holdings. The European Union is likely to overturn the law, once again exposing the automaker to possible takeover bids.
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies