CNN Money has published a list of the "Top 10 Muscle Car Stars" as compiled by Kelley Blue Book. Some of the picks are obvious, such as the Hemi 'Cuda convertible, GTO Judge convertible, and the venerable Plymouth Superbird. More of a surprise is the presence of the Ford Torino Talladega, which is labeled as an up-and-comer in the muscle car marketplace. With values currently in the $30,000 range, the Torino is still attainable by those who don't have six-figure budgets to work with.
Also, despite lists like this one, it's always good to remember that one doesn't need a paddle at Barrett-Jackson to get into the game. Local newspapers and weeklies are always a great place to start. Sure, you may not find a concours-level, numbers-matching, rare-engined stunner, but you can find great bargains that are as much or more fun to work on and to drive.
All that said, here's the top 10 list as reported by CNN:
- 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda convertible - $2,000,000
- 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS-454/LS-6 convertible - $369,000
- 1969 Pontiac GTO "Judge" convertible - $205,200
- 1964 Shelby Cobra 289 Roadster - $329,100
- 1969 Dodge Charger R/T-440 hardtop - $170,000
- 1968 Shelby GT-500-KR convertible - $191,000
- 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28/SS coupe - $91,700
- 1970 Oldsmobile 442/W-30 hardtop -$85,960
- 1970 Plymouth Superbird-440 hardtop - $107,500
- 1969 Ford Torino-Talladega hardtop - $37,100
Agree? Disagree? Let's hear what your favorites are in the comments section.
Photo: Alex Nunez
[Source: CNN Money]