Most of the green we talk about here at AutoblogGreen relates to a car's engine, fuel tank and/or tailpipe. Today we've got a story from the Salem, Oregon Statesman Journal about a common harmful toxin that is often found in cars, but this one's in the trunk.

Turns out, until 2003, most cars used a small switch made with a gram of mercury to light up under the hood and the trunk. Of course, there are mercury-free alternatives, and in Oregon, 116 auto shops participate in a free program to replace the switches with a switch that contains a steel roller. Shops in Idaho will also remove the mercury switch and safely recycle it. If you live in one of these two states, click here to find a local mechanic who will perform the surgery.

The Statesman article mentions a related issue that parents should know about: those little flashing lights in kids' shoes contain mercury.

[Source: Statesman Journal, Hat Tip to Joel A. Photo Credit: Statesman Journal]


I'm reporting this comment as:

Reported comments and users are reviewed by Autoblog staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week to determine whether they violate Community Guideline. Accounts are penalized for Community Guidelines violations and serious or repeated violations can lead to account termination.


    • 1 Second Ago
  • From Our Partners

    You May Like
    Links by Zergnet
    Cars for Sale Near You

    Share This Photo X