America's #1 most-recycled product? The automobile
Fully ninety-five percent of "retired" cars each year are recycled. The reclaiming process often includes everything from the steel and aluminum used in vehicles' chassis to the floor mats that once went under drivers' feet. Said mats can be recycled, for example, into sound-deadening materials, while some of the metals can be melted to create flashlight batteries. Overall, over 84-percent of a car is ultimately salvaged.
Approximately 26 cars are recycled every minute.
[Source: Alliance of Automobile Manufactures via PR Newswire via Auto Spectator]
- Great used cars for less than $10,000
- Owners say these cars aren't very good deals
- New Car Buying Guides
- Cheapest new automobiles in America
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Find and compare 2017 Models