• 12
Oops. You just pulled a Lindsay Lohan or Paris Hilton (either one) or they hit you and got into an accident. Now what do you do? Service specialists from Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep provide the following tips on how best not to look stupid in front of the paparazzi:
  • Don’t leave the vehicle. Yes, you want to whack the idiot driving a BMW 7-Series who scratched your Maserati Quattroporte, but let the police (and lawyers) handle it.
  • Carry a disposable camera to take pictures of the damage (as well as any cute police officers).
  • Call a towing service. Preferably, have a number ready in your cell phone, PDA or poorly secured T-Mobile Sidekick.
  • Call your insurance company immediately. There is a reason why you’re paying them $2000 a quarter.
  • Get estimates on the damage from several repair facilities.
All kidding aside, the specialists provide more details of all the above steps at the link. What tips would you offer?

[Source: CarJunky]

I'm reporting this comment as:

Reported comments and users are reviewed by Autoblog staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week to determine whether they violate Community Guideline. Accounts are penalized for Community Guidelines violations and serious or repeated violations can lead to account termination.

    • 1 Second Ago
      • 9 Years Ago
      Best bet when in an accident. RUN!
      • 9 Years Ago
      Keep your mouth shut, no need to possibly change it from thier fault to yours because you said something that would be interpreted differently by a police officer.
      • 9 Years Ago
      The problem with immediately calling your insurance company? Bam! You now pay $3000 a quarter! (Retroactive to January 2000 for good measure!)
      • 9 Years Ago
      Horrible advice. Sure insurance companies want you to keep the cars in the exact position the accident occured in but maybe you should think about others for once. I cannot tell you how many times i've seen these lame brains sit there tying up traffic for an hour because they wouldnt move their Volvos from the middle of the road after an accident.

      When in a moderate fender bender, move your car off to the side of the road!
      • 9 Years Ago
      great Comment Post Joey!
      • 9 Years Ago
      In this area the police attend injury accidents only. For others you have your car towed to a Police Reporting Center, owned and operated by the insurance cartel. A retired, fat, totally uninterested former cop, with icing sugar on his shirt and coffee stains on his clipboard, notes the damage. There is no investigation.

      This jurisdiction has so-called "no fault" insurance. In practice this means you're always at fault because your insurer pays for the damage to your car regardless of the facts. The government allows it to note an accident on your record and raise your rates. Neat scam!
      • 9 Years Ago
      If it isn't a crime scene.... MOVE YOUR CAR off to the side of the road. For 10 years i have been yelling this at every group of melodramatic yahoos clogging up my city streets.
      • 9 Years Ago
      But how do you keep the other driver from moving his car off to the side of the road?

      One time a guy in a big truck backed up for some unknown reason at a stop sign right over the front of my car. He got out, looked at me, then got back in his truck. I assumed he was going to make a run for it, but he just pulled off into some grass leaving me in the middle of of the road with a smashed car... when the police got there they assumed I had rear ended the guy.
      • 9 Years Ago
      I agree with #15, where are you buying insurance? I pay about $115 a month for two cars (collision/liability/comprehensive) and condo contents insurance too.
      • 9 Years Ago
      Great post Joel! I love everyone's comments too. I also want to suggest that Joel find a new insurance company! When I lived in your neck of the woods, I only paid around $600 a quarter for insurance on 2 cars, that's even before I turned 25!
      • 9 Years Ago
      what if we think or know it's the other drivers fault, should we try to get a police officer to write that in the police report. Do we pursue that avenue later through our insurance company through subrogation...? any thoughts would be appreciated
      • 9 Years Ago
      There are many reasons to hire a personal injury attorney, however liability is usually handled between the 2 insurance companies. Attorneys only concern themselves with the party that is not at fault and is injured (that sometimes includes that friend of yours that is sitting in your passenger seat). They rarely concern themselves with your vehicle.

      Also depending on your policy you may or may not have collision coverage. If you do then you can choose a shop in your insurance companies network, get an estimate and check and dont fix your car or go to your own shop of choice and have your insurance company send an auto estimate out there to work with the shop to get your vehicle repaired. There is no need to get estimates from several bodyshops.. all this does is waste your time.

      Also keep in mind some tow truck drivers get kick backs from attorneys and body shops to pick up vehicles and drive them directly to a certain tow yard or body shop. So I would be wary of a tow truck driver that just shows up to a collision and starts taking your vehicle somewhere. Granted some police officers will call the tow truck in but make sure you tell the driver where you want to bring your car too. Dont just let them bring it somewhere where he gets a kickback from it and you end up with a very high storage fee.

      Your best bet is to call the claims number on the back of your insurance card and explain you need your vehicle towed. Tow coverage under a collision is covered under your collision coverage. That extra coverage for Tow most people get is for non collision tows car wont start.

      If you have questions on the claims process contact your claims department (your agent only knows how to sell insurance) if they truly want your business they will take the time to tell you what to do in case of a collision. Plus most mention what to do on your policy (which most ppl dont read)