Outsource domestic car manufacturing to India?
Could the Big Three (or 2½) one day outsource an entire vehicle design, from conception to working model, to another company and even another country? That’s what Tata Technologies, based in Puna, India, is hoping. Says Tata’s COO Jeffrey Sage, “"I think we are only a couple years away from seeing this happen. It is imminent."
The advantages offered by outsourcing to firms such as Tata Technologies are numerous: a well-educated, highly-technological staff whose salaries can be a quarter of a similarly educated U.S. staff member.
Could this happen? Should it? What's your thought? An earlier post on India’s ambitions to become a major designer for the world’s auto makers can be found here.
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies